Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Pass the crack pipe

3/6, 5 handed. No PT. CO is loose-passive, BB has seemed tight. Fairly new to the table, but no open limping and hasn't played many hands. I don't remember being too out of line in BBs presence.

I have 33 in sb
CO limps, I complete, BB raises, both call.

F: 8J8r
bb bets, CO folds, i call

T: 9
check, check

R: J
I c, he bets, i raise.

Why do i feel like i have no idea how to play the flop and turn in this situation. Sometimes i c/r, sometimes i call flop. Turn didn't seem like a great card to donk, but who knows? Is the river too transparent?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Pass the crack pipe

BB might have a weak Jack and become afraid of a better Jack, an Eight, or a straight after getting called on the flop. He bet into 2 players on the flop

You don't beat the board. It seems unlikely you would have checked a Jack on the turn, and he may have a full house. I don't think this river is a good time to bluff.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB might have a weak Jack and become afraid of a better Jack, an Eight, or a straight after getting called on the flop. He bet into 2 players on the flop

You don't beat the board. It seems unlikely you would have checked a Jack on the turn, and he may have a full house. I don't think this river is a good time to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

He raised out of the bb. A weak J isn't exactly likely. None of the other hands are particularly likely either. Put a little more effort into hand reading.

I realize that I don't beat the board. This raise wasn't exactly for value.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:10 PM

I put BB on exclusively AK/AQ, and if he is really as tight as you think, then go for it. I don't know if you have a strong enough read for this to work more than 2/5's of the time
Old 12-14-2006, 04:31 PM

raise preflop?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not standard for me. I think 66+ is my raising range, but I'm interested in what others think about PF. I think an argument can be made for all three in the 1/3 structure.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:39 PM

I'm gonna be honest I hated this at first now I think it's never really correct for him to call unless you play super straight forward. he should fold ace hi like always.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:04 PM

it does not look like you have a J. I am tight and I am not folding an A here. Actually, I am not betting this river either.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it does not look like you have a J. I am tight and I am not folding an A here. Actually, I am not betting this river either.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a disconnect between the turn check and the river bet unless he is trying to get you to call with K high. however this disconnect leads me to believe he sucks which leads me to believe he isnt folding.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a disconnect between the turn check and the river bet unless he is trying to get you to call with K high. however this disconnect leads me to believe he sucks which leads me to believe he isnt folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I suppose this is a double-edged sword. A good player would have to know I'm FOS because why wouldn't I bet a better hand on the river when I know that i'm getting called by A high here always. And I can narrow his hand range down to mostly those hands because he should be betting pretty much everything else on the turn. However, if he's bad enough at hand reading (and tight enough), then perhaps he'll fold here.

Of course, a good player shouldn't be betting A high into me there in the first place. To me, the turn check followed by a river bet on an innocuous card is begging me to c/r and I oblige probably too often.

Edit - I'd also love analysis on the flop and turn. I feel lost on these type hands more than any other.