Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:23 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Party monitors your computer activity

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, a publicly traded company purposefully doing something malicious to your computer is as ridiculous an idea as a major music label including malicious unreported spyware on its music cd's that infects user computers and prevents mp3 downloading.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, PartyPoker would infect someone's computer with malicious software...why? Remember, this is an industry that is still trying to secure legalization in its biggest market; it can't do anything too stupid.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.winholdem.net/forum/viewt...0fcd5461c2bfce

You lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. It can see what programs you have open. This has nothing to do with transfering files.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Party monitors your computer activity (it\'s a good thing)

I laud Party Poker's efforts at undermining cheats who violate the TOS. They have demonstrated a proven willingness to punish cheaters. Just reading the winholdem forum illustrates the efficacy of their bot detection methods. Grifters and colluders even show up here to complain about Party's aggressive security.

I am usually extremely critical of Party Poker. Obviously, they have a bunch of mouth-breathers in their customer service department. Their software is archaic, the rake is high, and their promotions are insulting. This is why I love Pokerstars and rarely play at Party Poker. Pokerstars has the best all-around poker experience online.

The only nagging concern I have about Pokerstars is how aggressively they police their games. I have no serious reason to believe they are not extremely committed to ensuring their games integrity. In fact, they have throughly investigated a few players at my request and provided an extremely detailed report (even taking aggressive action where it was warranted). Nevertheless, I am confounded that Pokerstars has not 'earned' the red status that Party Poker and Paradise Poker received at winholdem.net. Perhaps Poker Stars simply uses a different enforcement mechanism or puts more emphasis on different (and potentially more harmful) types of violations. Reading the Winholdem forums doesn't inspire confidence either as they seem to indicate Party is the real threat and Pokerstars is relatively safe. Then again, most bots probably aren't that threatening to a winning player. Nevertheless, it is a minor cause for concern. Then again, at least Pokerstars has responded to my security concerns; at Party Poker I have a better chance at hitting a runner runner straight flush then having my email answered.

JeffreyREBT
Old 01-04-2006, 10:21 PM

WTF. why did you post this link. i clicked on it while my party client was opened as my natural habit is to randomly click links in threads. fortunately, i think zone alarm protects me.

dick move.

for those unaware, i have heard rumors that party has threatened to close peoples accounts based soley on the fact that party caught them visiting the winholdem forums. how scary is that?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to be an ass, but I just assumed this was already pretty widely known.

[/ QUOTE ]

but thanks for the zone-alarm link.

norton is kind of disappointing me. I should have been looking for a replacement a long time ago.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF. why did you post this link. i clicked on it while my party client was opened as my natural habit is to randomly click links in threads. fortunately, i think zone alarm protects me.

dick move.

for those unaware, i have heard rumors that party has threatened to close peoples accounts based soley on the fact that party caught them visiting the winholdem forums. how scary is that?

[/ QUOTE ]
you guys are really overreacting.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.winholdem.net/forum/viewt...0fcd5461c2bfce

You lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. It can see what programs you have open. This has nothing to do with transfering files.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, did you see the portion where .BMPs were sent to Party?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:54 AM

Thanks for the Zone link! This seems a lot better than norton
Old 01-05-2006, 05:40 AM

from the winholdemlink:
[ QUOTE ]
This message is to inform you that as part of our initiative to block artificial intelligence or prohibited software/programs that might give players an undue advantage over the other players on the table, we have proceeded to monitor and block the use of such software/programs from running in conjunction with our PartyPoker.com client.

As part of our initiative, we have come across an instance wherein your account was involved in using a prohibited software/program to play on our site. Please note that this grossly violates our Terms and Conditions of Use (available on our website for your perusal) and is completely unacceptable.

Please check Clause 6 and Clause 18.

http://www.partypoker.com/about_us/l...formation.html

As per our policy, we have flagged your account and have added appropriate comments in your account. We will continue to monitor your account activity and game play, and request you to refrain from using this application in future, failing which we will have no choice but to take the extreme step of barring you from our card room and confiscating any funds remaining in your poker account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Party is too forgiving. They give known bot users a chance to play legitimately? Just confiscate the funds and add them to promotions.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:47 AM

I have just installed the 6.1 version of Zone Alarm myself, and I have noticed that the Zone Alarm alert shown by the OP has shown up EVERY time I have opened a poker room client. So far, this includes:

Party Poker, Noble Poker, Royal Vegas, Sun Poker and Interpoker.

I have told ZA to deny the access every time with seemingly no effect.

Nicodemus.
Closed Thread