Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Party monitors your computer activity

Party (and most other sites) monitor your mouse movements and use that as an input into their random number generator. It’s part of their terms and conditions. A simple way to think about it is that it “adds” the mouse movement from each of the ten players at the table so that no one can hack their RNG.

I’m sure they also use the monitoring to check for illegal collusion via AIM, and for bots.

-g
Old 01-04-2006, 03:26 PM

oh wow thats an interesting fact about the randomization. i didnt know about that.

yes its main purpose is for bots and other violations such as poker-edge, but i decided not to include that information in the thread. the angle of this thread isnt that its wrong for party to do this to their customers. i made this thread to let you guys know that they are logging your computer so be careful what you do but that you can also apparently disable their access. i also have nothing to hide but i really dont like the thought of party having access to anything on my computer. thats just me. im not that trusting.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:30 PM

dude, it's not like the have access to just any file on your computer.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:07 PM

Yes it is. You're running an application that they wrote and is connected to their server. From a techical perspective, they could send the entire contents of your hard drive to their server.

Now whether they *would* or not is an entirely different question.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:08 PM

if you tap your mouse 5 times quickly and hold downthe right click for 3.5 seconds you will get dealt pocket aces on your next hand.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:11 PM

They only transfer .jpgs - they've got the worlds largest pr0n collection to go along with the worlds largest poker site.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good news, I can click deny on my Zone Alarm security message. Party still allows me to login and play, but Zone Alarm has denied Party Poker priviledges to monitor my computer. I don't know if this means Party has zero access to anything my computer does or not. If someone else does please confirm.

[/ QUOTE ]
ZASS is a great product.

Party and its skins have never contacted me about denying access to my keystrokes and I don't expect them to do so in the future. There is nothing in the T&C about my legal obligation to dismantle my PC's security. Keystroke loggers steal passwords folks. They are about the worst malware around and Party is expecting a tremendous amout of trust here. I'm sure many people play on IT-managed machines that would never even ask the user about blocking something like this.

BTW, have you tried chatting at the table recently [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:38 PM

The only ones that should be afraid of stuff like this are the ones that have something to hide.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:48 PM

I will prop bet you $1000 that the Party Poker client cannot send files (outside or it's own directory or subdirectories) from your computer to it's server.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, it's not like the have access to just any file on your computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they have admin access to your PC. There have been rumors that they search your hard drive & processes for things (bots, IM open, etc).

For those of you who say that you have nothing to hide, that maybe true but I sure don't want some 22 yr old making $3USD an hour snooping around my PC where I keep bank records and such. This is why I stopped playing at Party. Risk/Reward isn't worth it in my opinion.
Closed Thread