Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Ask Xadrez about old school Funk and Soul or Rap samples

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ID please:
"I'm like a cat but you can call me a tiger, cuz I'm going out like a maniac(?)"

Not sure about the last word, but the rest is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a rap song or a soul/funk song? I can identify the samples used for rap better than I can identify lyrics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rap. Some more lyrics that may or may not be right, "You wanna f___ with me then come on and f__ with me/ you wanna calm me you'll need a whole army".

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, cant help you on this one. I did some searching and found something for a group Sy & Demo, "Devotion"

Hope that helps.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, cant help you on this one. I did some searching and found something for a group Sy & Demo, "Devotion"

Hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sadly not. That's my known sample source, but I want the original (out of curiosity). Thanks though.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know how the greatness of soul music, and Motown, got replaced by the trash of Rap. That's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

NYC DJ's in the late 70's started using 2 copies of the same record to loop small segments of drum breaks while an MC rapped over the loop. The records used were soul/r&b/funk and disco records. Later on when it was taken to the studios the original artists merely continued doing what they knew how to do ie:make beats.

Perceiving it as crap has little to do with the assertion that it is a progression or a mutation of the older genres you enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the historical information.

Anyway, don't you feel that Rap is somehow--a lot less musical--than the older genres? (not to mention substantially more irritating). I wouldn't be surprised if even a good percentage of Rap fans might agree that it is truly less musical--they just happen to like it, and of course they have a right to. But it just hardly qualifies as "music" in my mind. And yeah, I think a lot of "modern art" is crap too, compared to classic paintings and such (a lot, not all). (I don't buy that art is entirely subjective, either, as you might guess; if I throw a few handfuls of mud against a pastel wall, that is not just as artistic as a Van Gogh painting--even if there are some who might like it as well or better).

So, do you feel that rap, as a genre, is truly as "musical" as Soul or Motown music?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sadly not. That's my known sample source, but I want the original (out of curiosity).

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt the "sample source" and "the original" the same?

My thread officially sucks. Sorry!
Old 03-24-2006, 05:06 PM

How do I get free old school funk and rap samples? what are the laws regarding using these?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, don't you feel that Rap is somehow--a lot less musical--than the older genres? (not to mention substantially more irritating). I wouldn't be surprised if even a good percentage of Rap fans might agree that it is truly less musical--they just happen to like it, and of course they have a right to. But it just hardly qualifies as "music" in my mind. And yeah, I think a lot of "modern art" is crap too, compared to classic paintings and such (a lot, not all). (I don't buy that art is entirely subjective, either, as you might guess; if I throw a few handfuls of mud against a pastel wall, that is not just as artistic as a Van Gogh painting--even if there are some who might like it as well or better).

So, do you feel that rap, as a genre, is truly as "musical" as Soul or Motown music?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes of course its just as musical as any other form of music.

What exactly is the definition of music? Would a caveman banging two rocks together in rhythm be "music"? At one point it most certainly was.

Again, it is blatanly obvious that you do not like rap or hip-hop by your posts. If you dont like what it, what the hell does it matter if its "more" or "less" musical than some other related genre. Your posts seem like an elaborate exercise in discrediting something you are biased against personally.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I get free old school funk and rap samples? what are the laws regarding using these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you must contact whomever owns the rights to the music and work out a deal for royalties, etc. It is expensive so you might want to wait to get a record deal.

If you are able to mess with the sample enough in production, as in splicing it and moving parts around, you can get around this Id imagine.