Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Re: V For Vendetta

[ QUOTE ]
Any movie about terroism against a government and persecution of Muslims made after Sep. 11 is trying to say something about modern times, period, regardless of when the original work was made.

[/ QUOTE ]
1) V for Vendeta wasn't "about" the persecution of Muslims. That was a very tiny part of the many things wrong with the gov't in V.
2) "Terrorism" against the gov't is not necessarily a bad thing. If you don't see why, check out the happenings in the late 18th century.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:37 PM

Simple questions:

September 11th never happens.... (thus no wars in Afghanistan/Iraq)

1. Is this book made into a movie?
2. If yes, is the movie 100% the same as it turned out to be?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Simple questions:

[/ QUOTE ]

1) This book was made into a movie because comic book movies make Hollywood bust box office nuts, not because of 9/11.
2) No. The comic book finale was not about blowing up Parliament, nor were there Muslims in it, nor did V strap a bomb to himself like in the movie. I'm not sure whether the terrorism factor allowed the directors to make the book more true to it's original plor ot detracted from a accurate translation.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Simple questions:

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. This does not prove your point as well as you seem to think it does.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:18 AM

UTA doesnt like people telling him that homosexuality is normal or OK.

In conclusion:

he is a queer
Old 03-23-2006, 04:40 AM

Just went and saw this movie, and then read this thread. It is sad that either none of you can think for yourselves, or just have horrible judgment in movies...

This movie was absolutely atrocious. Canned/trite dialogue, ridiculous plot (if you can call it that), mail-it-in novice-quality acting, haphazard direction, blunt yet vague theme, I think this movie gets about 0.5 stars on a 1-100 scale. I would rank it 2nd most disappointing movie I've ever seen in the theater (Spiderman being #1).
Old 03-23-2006, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just went and saw this movie, and then read this thread. It is sad that either none of you can think for yourselves, or just have horrible judgment in movies...

This movie was absolutely atrocious. Canned/trite dialogue, ridiculous plot (if you can call it that), mail-it-in novice-quality acting, haphazard direction, blunt yet vague theme, I think this movie gets about 0.5 stars on a 1-100 scale. I would rank it 2nd most disappointing movie I've ever seen in the theater (Spiderman being #1).

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm glad you included the last sentence; now I don't care what you think.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bush = Hitler
America = Evil
Muslims/Gay People = Good
Terrorists = Justified

I think that about covers the ideas

[/ QUOTE ]

Did we watch the same movie? You got to love it when our President has things so f'ed up that all his supporters are running around with chips on their shoulders, ready to see attacks where they aren't being made. This is about as good as the republicans who came out bashing Star Wars Ep. 3, not because it was a bad movie, but because it was making a statement against Bush. Give me a freaking break. It is fiction. It was a comic/graphic novel. It was written LONG before Bush took office.

If you really HAVE to see things into it that aren't there then answer these questions.

What country currently:

Has a leader who uses religion to dominate society?
Has a mouthpiece that spews religious fanatacism?
Has outlawed the possession of opposing religious books (I'll give you a hint...it's not the Koran)?
Has imprisioned or killed intellectuals who speak against current leadership?
Has imprisoned entertainers deemed to be mocking current leadership?
Has outlawed various forms of art including music, because it is deemed against state religion and/or too sympathetic to enemy countries and/or culture.

I could go on and on.

Do you want to guess what current country really fits this bill? I'll give you a hint...it's not America.

Quit being so defensive about Bush having made a mess of things. It is a fictitious movie based on an old graphic novel. As you can see from the references above, it hardly is a picture of, nor an indictment of our current administration.

Now go back and watch SW3 with the firm knowledge that that movie also isn't an anti-Bush movie. It still will kinda blow, but you will enjoy it more and it was after all, the best of the three new ones.

Peace.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:46 PM

Saw it last night with the wifey. I liked it, but then I'm an anarchist, so killing government officials and blowing up government buildings really floats my boat.

My wife hated it. Thought it was "perhaps the worst script ever written". She thought the dialogue was ridiculously poorly written, the characters all unlikable, and the ending completely unbelievable, that it was incredibly preachy, dragged like a one legged dog in spots, had unbelievable plot coincidences, and on and on. On any of these individual points I have to concede she is correct.

But I still liked it because he killed government officials and blew up government buildings.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Simple questions:

[/ QUOTE ]
9-11 never occurred to me while watching this movie. But the American Revolution did. So what does that mean...?