Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Non pokertracker reads are important, guys

[ QUOTE ]
Edit - do u mean when u review others sessions (HH review), u take notes on those players, or when u review ur own sessions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do that. It's easy after a while just to sit down and go over some hands and take some notes.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paying attention is +EV but -Fun

I'll stick to PT until my opponents make me pay attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if this is serious, but getting bluffed out of pots, losing to LAGs, and going to little bets verse and idiot is a tilt switch for me, and tilting poker is not fun at all.

Catching a bluff, capping rivers, bluffing guys off hands is some sweet poker. Your missing out if you think paying attention isnt fun.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:23 AM

You know what I hate about party notes? The box disappears behind the table just before I start typing. Inevitably, focus switches to another table, where I have to decide whether to limp JT behind a bad/good player or whatever. Anyhow, I take as many notes as best I can, and use stats as a general picture. So yeah, I take a lot of notes--it's just not easy. Also, I think we need to address more of the problem: how can we best interpret stats.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:06 AM

I was into notes for a while until I noticed that if you have enough stats up, you can put together the puzzle pretty well.

The stuff players do a lot shows up pretty well in the stats.

Traits like playing the flop fast then backing off on the expensive streets, Flop peeling, turn bluff raising, check raising frequency, and many others come through if you have the info displayed.

Specific things like always betting draws, or leading into a raiser with middle or bottom pair are about the only things I bother to note.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was into notes for a while until I noticed that if you have enough stats up, you can put together the puzzle pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly which stats do you have up?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly which stats do you have up?

[/ QUOTE ]

VPIP/PFR/AGG
F AGG, T AGG, R AGG
Fold to flop bet, fold to turn bet, fold to river bet
Check Raise Flop, Turn, River
Att Blind steal, Fold SB to steal, Fold BB to steal
Cold call %, Win see flop %, Hands
Won showdown when raise turn, Won show down when raised river

WTSD, W$SD

On the popup I have some stuff about continuation bets and some miscellaneous stuff.

I have all the stats color coded (same colors on every site), so I know exactly what I am looking for.

It seems a few times every session, I will play a hand based upon a combination of stats for a player.

It is my opinion that when interpreted correctly (and keeping in mind discrepencies due to small sample size... that these are just as useful, if not moreso than "real" reads.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:42 AM

Although i understand the advantages from taking notes, i still find it quite difficult to write it down in a short, clear way, so u only need a glance to understand the note the next time
Old 03-21-2006, 05:39 AM

Default Good Post

and this bit is true as well.

[ QUOTE ]
but in this case, you guys will continue to be lazy and let a program play your poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

(although I fully intend to go back to more note taking rather than playing more tables at a time).

I also agree making better decisions, because of having the better reads, and therefore making better plays and winning more, is certainly more fun .

I was always a 2 tabler, its only recently with Party making it easier to 4 table I had been trying that, but I found myself making a lot less decent reads than I normally would. Also winrate went down as did my enjoyment for the game. Varience was also alot higher.

Do you play more than 2 tables at a time ArturiusX?
Old 03-21-2006, 05:44 AM

I haven't played in a while (starting to post again is my way of dipping my toes before I dive back in), but I used to have a long list of nicknames that I would give to players. For example, someone who bet into the previous raiser would get called either a donkey, ass or mule, based upon the quality of his hand at the time. I used to keep more specific notes, but this process ended up working better for me.

Scott
Old 03-21-2006, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stuff like "cont bets with anything"

[/ QUOTE ]

My notes are like that, except I use a different vowel in the first word.

I'd elaborate but then 2+2 would close my account.