Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: MTT Final Table -- QQ

[ QUOTE ]
bump until i get an answer. I'd like to know how you guys would play AK in the same spot. I mean, the guy insta-called. Is it that easy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on villains (my) image and your image. If I put your reraising range as AQ+, TT+, it's a tough call, if you tighten it up to AK, JJ+, then I fold. So my answer to your question is...drum roll...."it depends". It's certainly not a snap call. I've been the lag with ak and snap call in spots like this (not for most of my chips) because I've been running over the table and the reraiser had a wide range.

EDIT: I'd like to add, maybe you're being a little too results oriented. If villain is not all that good, by not pushing you lose some value from JJ and TT. Most likely villain doesn't have AA or KK which leaves AK as the only hand that isn't a big dog to QQ. If villain snap called with JJ and your hand held up you probably wouldn't be posting here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shooooooooooooooove

His hand range is polarised largely to hands like JJ, TT, 99 and AQs imo

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is his range excatly... why are you shoving? To get a fold out of all hands we have smoked?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:05 PM

Actually duece, I still would've posted. This is easily one of the biggest hands (in terms of FT experience, etc) I've played. Also, I have a few more hands (which I won) that I haven't gotten around to posting, but obviously weren't as critical as this one. The ICM stuff was really interesting, and I think that's sort of what I had in mind by questioning the right play in this particular spot. (Thanks for that HS)

It seems to be just one of the spots where it really does depend on precisely weighing in the factors, most of which only I (the individual) could surmise at the time it was played. Thanks again, all.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shooooooooooooooove

His hand range is polarised largely to hands like JJ, TT, 99 and AQs imo

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is his range excatly... why are you shoving? To get a fold out of all hands we have smoked?

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to shove so that JJ, TT calls, if it's a bad player. If you don't shove you lose value vs these hands because there's a great chance an over card to these pps flops and you don't get anymore money anways unless you hit the perfect 9 high flop.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read a post on 2+2 somewhat recently that said that often a better way to play QQ in a spot like this is to call preflop and then be ready to get it all-in on any non A or K flop. I've done this with a good deal of success recently. If you're in position, you can usually expect a c-bet from the OR. And if you're out of position, you can simply open-push or check/push depending on your read and image.

Thanks again, good discussion. If I were deeper, I really would've liked to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not advocating calling here. But, the deeper the stacks, the more you want to get QQ all-in PrF, if you are narrowing his range to AK, and big pairs. If you are trying to play AK the most profitably, at this depth, calling, and getting it in on a non A or K flop is best.

PrF pot-12k
Eff. stack-188k

shove= .57(388k)-188k
shove= 33,160

call=.3(-32k)+.7(76k)
call=43,600

Again, he didnt flip his cards, and show us AK, but in case your wondering. As stacks get deeper, QQ has bigger claim to to his PrF equity adv.(.57), and does better getting it all-in PrF.