Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Best advertising campaign of the last 15 years?

Was in Monster that had the commercial with the pack of wild dogs attacking a marching band? The best one was them trying to shoot a hamster out of a cannon through an "O" and it hitting a brick wall.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: I deliberately left the question vague with the adjective "best". "Best" could mean most successful in terms of promoting sales or brand identity, it could mean funniest, most memorable, most culturally significant, etc. I chose 15 years because it is the time span most familiar to most posters here, but it's largely arbitrary.

I submit that the most significant ad campaign of the last fifteen years is MasterCard's "Priceless" line. The process of listing items and costs and closing with the word, "priceless" has pervaded pop culture and the tagline itself is now practically synonymous with the company. Honorable mention to Nike's "Just Do It" line in the 90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lord won't you buy me... a Mercedes Benz.

that was quite catchy for a while.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:44 PM

Not sure, but Jack of Jack-in-the-Box has got to be up there.

A lot of you probably are too young to remember, but in the 80's and early 90's, the name JITB had bad connotations, and just left a bad taste in society's mouth.

Somehow, this Jack dude shows up on all their commercials, and the campaign has been successful ever since. I still am not tired of JITB commercials.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:46 PM

Was it "Falling in Love Again" by Eagle Eye Cherry? I know that song is pretty awesome...
Old 03-15-2006, 05:46 PM

Chili's.

More specifically...

"I want my baby back, baby back, baby back, I want my baby back, baby back, baby back..."
Old 03-15-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Burger King's recent surrealist run is just awesome, at least from an artistic point of view.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. BK gets my vote. The Buckin Chicken or whatever is brilliant.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:47 PM

Interesingly, the guy that created the 'Got Milk?' campaign died in SF in a crack-deal-gone-bad, turned vehicular confrontation with the cops. Hooker rips him off trying to buy crack, he gets into a huge secne with her in the middle of the afternoon, cops com tell him to get lost, he gets in his car and charges the cops, they shoot him dead. He was like 58 or something. True story.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:54 PM

By my definition of fun and worth seeing(I thought the priceless credit card stuff was usually quite dull), those beer commercials where all the guys were going Wazaaaaaaaaaaa into the phone and making silly noises back at each other. Those cracked everybody up and were VERY different from any commercial I had ever seen. It made those guys stars and was really infectious; people were doing that to each other when speaking all the time for quite a while after.

That something could be so different and yet still so loved by almost everybody was pretty unique.

Aside from that, I'd pick the Got Milk? campaign. Great commercials, great milk moustache print ads, everybody knew it.

Honorable mention to the Jack in the Box commercials that turned Jack in the Box from a brand name that carried virtually no distinction whatsoever to one that had some fun in it. Some of the commercials were pretty good, especially the first one.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:05 PM

Geico. Very memorable, sometimes funny and very effective. The house was built too small is one of my favorite commercials of all time. "This is NOT awesome!" I've actually called Geico.

For all the creative and funny stuff that has come out over the last 15 years, I still won't drink American piss beers, still have no preference for Visa over Mastercard, and still just buy the cheapest sneakers that are reasonably comfortable.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have a weird favorite ad: "Falling In Love Again", an ad by Mercedes about 5 years back or so. I love that recording of the song, and can't find it anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a great ad.