Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Busto + I quit

Try yer hand at backgammon. Worked for Dan Herrington.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those of you saying poker is fun are insane. I never thought it was fun

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I quit

[/ QUOTE ]

You've definitely made the right choice.

Adios.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 PM

As much as people like to believe otherwise, the mind cannot possibly stop someone from sucking out on you once the money is in and the cards are turned over.

People here love to immediately blame all downswings on bad play. It isn't always.

Your kicker analogy is meaningless unless mind control somehow moved the goal posts after he had kicked the ball.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean you can almost fold into the money in the 6s.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try it for a few hundred tournies and report back.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those of you saying poker is fun are insane. I never thought it was fun, that's not why I did it. I did it because I'm good at it and can potentially make a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you just say this upfront and not waste everyone's time? Life's too short to do a job you don't love or at least get some enjoyment out of. I seriously doubt there has ever been anyone successful at poker who didn't at least start off loving the game.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People here love to immediately blame all downswings on bad play. It isn't always.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not - but the chances are much greater for a truly horrific downswing to be caused by bad play than by purely bad luck. And when you throw in the anger issues and other clues (such as his buddy saying he's not playing his A game) it's almost a given.

Think about it: Are you more likely to be in that 5% of the unluckiest players on the bell curve of luck for a given time period, or the 85% of players that consistently lose over the long run because they play bad?

And even if you were unlucky for a long period of time, what does it matter? Just because you were unlucky last (week, month, year, decade) WTF does that have to do with today?

Nobody is predestined to be an unlucky player, but if you think you're somehow doomed with bad luck then just hang it up now and save yourself the misery.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As much as people like to believe otherwise, the mind cannot possibly stop someone from sucking out on you once the money is in and the cards are turned over.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the mind can control what you do AFTER the suckout. We play poker with our minds, if our minds are all screwed up, we play bad poker.

I know what you're saying. I have always had a problem dealing with the suckouts because It's just not fair! When I started, I NEVER sucked out - because I always had the best hand. (no, really) Since I've been playing more endgame push-push poker, I've been sucking out all over the place. It finally felt like it was evening out. I don't even bother to apologize anymore when I put a horrific beat on someone. Whatever. It happened to me 100 times, let it happen to someone else for once.

[ QUOTE ]

Your kicker analogy is meaningless unless mind control somehow moved the goal posts after he had kicked the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a word for this: Choking. It recognizes the mind/body connection and how important it is. If it's important to an athlete it's way more important for someone who has to think in order to play their game.

I know you're saying his mind couldn't conquer something outside of his control. I used to say it was like playing tennis and all of a sudden the chair umpire would stop the match and award a point to your opponent for no good reason. Then I realized that's what people mean when they say "That's poker." I still don't like it, but I'm learning to deal with. I think it's the biggest challenge in poker.

There's a commercial out that says something about seeing the same people at final tables. It's true. If you play a good game, regardless of the suckouts, you will win in the long run.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean you can almost fold into the money in the 6s.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try it for a few hundred tournies and report back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was obv exaggerating, but it wasn't too long ago I was there, and there are just hardly any good players at that level, there aren't tough bubbles and you get paid off early with pretty marginal hands.

obv the difference between 20 and 70 downswing is huge, I still dont believe the latter is possible at the 6s to anymore than .00001% probability for a good player.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM

As others have suggested it helps to change the games you play when you run bad at SNGs, or even change sites, just anything to make you feel less on tilt. Play something you can easily beat like NL5 cash games or even NL2 or Micro Limit holdem... to get your mind off the constant suckouts in SNGs.