Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: C-bet sizing

i tend to cbet drawy boards more and boards like qxx kxx less.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:18 AM

Re what renton said, I have found paired boards require a much smaller C-bet than unpaired boards. I think most of the villans at low limits, when they see a paired boards its either "i have it or i dont" mentality. Not that it matters, but - I would prob bet 70% of pot on a paired board and about 90% on an unpaired board.

The reason i say it does not matter, is that many successful players have a standard Cbet of 60% and other successful players have a standard Cbet of 100%. It all comes down to the player style and how well they handle a call/raise.

The absolute key - the one thing that matters is, that your C bets are The same size when you dont have a hand, as when you do have a hand.

Sometimes i will not Cbet at all if i miss, eg if im playing heads up with a passive fish and totally miss the flop, what is the point in betting? you know they are calling anyway, so i would just check behind IP and check OOP. A very useful stat to use in your HUD is the "fold to C-bet" or "fold to flop bet" stats. Im not sure what the difference is exactly (someone else explain plz) but they are very useful stats in deciding whether or not to Cbet.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"fold to C-bet" or "fold to flop bet" stats. Im not sure what the difference is exactly (someone else explain plz)

[/ QUOTE ]

I donīt know for sure, so I hope you donīt mind I am guessing.

A continuation bet should be a bet by the pre-flop raiser.

All betting out by the pre-flop cold-caller, or by a limper in a pot that is not raised, does probably come under the headline of "flop bet".
Old 10-08-2007, 07:56 AM

Hereīs something slightly offtopic, but itīs kindof related.

I am playing micro limits and I am playing loads of tight ABC regulars, like they are playing 8 to 12 tables at a time.

These guys are c-bettin close to 100% of the time when postflop heads-up or 3-way.

Now I know that they miss the flop as often as I do, and I have high standards for cold-calling. Thus, they do not have an advantage on average.

I am currently working on how to semi-bluff or bluff-challenge their c-bets, both hand range and raise sizing.

Any advice/link would really be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 AM

A lot of what has been said here is good. I don't think its as important to keep your c-bets the same size as your bets with made hands unless your opponents are perceptive. Just because you bet 3/4 the pot with a made hand on this board doesn't mean you have to with with a c-bet. If you bet 2/3 the pot it isn't going to make a big difference from your opponents' perspective unless they are particularly attentive. However, if you always bet 1/4 the pot with a c-bet and 3/4 with a made hand, it certainly is transparent to about anyone. Still, you can pull this on some opponents.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of what has been said here is good. I don't think its as important to keep your c-bets the same size as your bets with made hands unless your opponents are perceptive. Just because you bet 3/4 the pot with a made hand on this board doesn't mean you have to with with a c-bet. If you bet 2/3 the pot it isn't going to make a big difference from your opponents' perspective unless they are particularly attentive. However, if you always bet 1/4 the pot with a c-bet and 3/4 with a made hand, it certainly is transparent to about anyone. Still, you can pull this on some opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i agree here. What I was talking about in particular are the regular/observant villans you tend to get at NL50 and higher. Obv with fish and people that havnt got stats on you it doesnt matter if you bet a different size
Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason i say it does not matter, is that many successful players have a standard Cbet of 60% and other successful players have a standard Cbet of 100%. It all comes down to the player style and how well they handle a call/raise.

The absolute key - the one thing that matters is, that your C bets are The same size when you dont have a hand, as when you do have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great note. This is an easy read on many players. Paired board + unmade hand cbet = raise. This is a great place to pick up small/medium sized pots.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 PM

I like the same size..just over half. Safe enough to drive players out, and still allow you to get away.
Occasioanally, a larger c-bet is beneficial, esp. agaisnt bad, loose players and a draw heavy board.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 AM

...snip...
These guys are c-bettin close to 100% of the time when postflop heads-up or 3-way.

Now I know that they miss the flop as often as I do, and I have high standards for cold-calling. Thus, they do not have an advantage on average.
...snip...

Soooo, if you're cold calling you're in position. Punish them with position. If you're in position and they are c-betting way more than they could possibly have made their hands, call their c-bet. That's all, just call their c-bet. It doesn't matter what you have in your hand. You are playing their hand, not yours. Call it with whatever you have. When they check, you bet.

Now extend that. When a tightish player in middle position raises preflop (I generally give EP players credit for a hand), expand your calling range. He's tight, don't try to out-tight him. Use your position. Be stickier. Take more pots away on the turn and river. An unimproved AQ or AK just can't call a bet on a TT52 board.

If you find yourself limp/calling and the board comes 247 or 664, think about check/raising. If the villain is tight, they are mostly playing high cards. That flop probably didn't hit them. Maybe they have an over pair and won't give it up, but mostly they won't.

Beyond that, don't pass up opportunities to semi-bluff. It puts so much pressure on top and second pair hands.