Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: 50nl: AQ river decision

Also, raise preflop.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 PM

"If you think he'll fold Qx if you bet then c/f becomes an option but I don't think this guy will."

Did you mean if he thought he wouldve folded a weaker Q before the river? if not how is c/f all of a sudden an option?

Also in the OP he said pre was a misclick, but its def a raise pre.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"If you think he'll fold Qx if you bet then c/f becomes an option but I don't think this guy will."

Did you mean if he thought he wouldve folded a weaker Q before the river? if not how is c/f all of a sudden an option?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I meant if he though he'll fold Qx on the river. I don't expect him to ever fold Qx before the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Also in the OP he said pre was a misclick, but its def a raise pre.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right, I missed that.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:48 PM

I'm still not getting why you saying c/f is an option if villain with fold a weaker Q if we bet. I mean I can understand b/f and c/c but in your first reply to this post you said never c/f.

Typo?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually bet/fold, getting paid off by Qx (why didn't you include Qx in his range?). If you think he's bluffy you should c/c. Never c/f.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i typo'd, Ax is supposed to be Qx. But i don't think he will bet a Q on the river very often. Its just a gut feeling i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]
He'll probably often check Qx, that's why I'm betting the river so he'll pay me off. If you check it's to induce a bluff from his busted draws and sometimes a bet from Qx.

If you think he'll fold Qx if you bet then c/f becomes an option but I don't think this guy will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this guy will probably call with a Q on the river, however i dont get how betting is +ev.

Whenever im confused i like to look at extreme examples, so bear with me. Lets assume that on the river villain can have any T any Q and a bunch of busted draws. If we bet he will always fold busted draws call with Qx and raise with Tx. In this example betting would be 0 ev right?

So in my hand when you say b/f river what you are basically saying is that we are ahead >50% of the time, hence villain is more likely to have AND call with Qx than Tx, right?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still not getting why you saying c/f is an option if villain with fold a weaker Q if we bet. I mean I can understand b/f and c/c but in your first reply to this post you said never c/f.

Typo?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would usually never c/f here. I would b/f, expecting to get paid off by Qx if villain's passive. Against a passive villain check/calling is bad because he'll rarely bluff or v-bet worse.

If villain's tricky/bluffy then check/calling becomes better because he'll often bluff his missed draws on the river and if we bet we might get bluffraised off the best hand.

That's why I said I either b/f or c/c.

BUT, if villain is passive and tight were not likely to get paid off by Qx nor likely getting bluffed if we check. In this case check/folding is best because none of the other option is +ev.

I hope I expressed myself clear. But again I want to say I don't c/f in this spot often at all and if those stats is the only read I have on villain I won't. I think b/f is best.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever im confused i like to look at extreme examples, so bear with me. Lets assume that on the river villain can have any T any Q and a bunch of busted draws. If we bet he will always fold busted draws call with Qx and raise with Tx. In this example betting would be 0 ev right? So in my hand when you say b/f river what you are basically saying is that we are ahead >50% of the time, hence villain is more likely to have AND call with Qx than Tx, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
The existing pot makes it +ev. You don't need to be ahead 50% for betting to be +ev.

It's also important to weight his hands, Qx is more likely on the river because he's more likely to have folded Tx on previous streets.

What I'm saying is that he's more likely to call with Qx than he is to bluff a busted draw if we check or v-bet a worse hand. Assuming he won't ever bluffraise the river if we bet.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:07 PM

I understood the c/c and b/f reasoning and I guess i now understand your c/f reasoning but you've already stated that you b/f against a passive villain which is why I got thrown off. I really doubt a passive tight villain gets to the river without SC type 10 with clubs in which case I cry.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:13 PM

Funny, when I raise pf I usually go bet/bet/bet, because on the river nobody ever really bluffs their busted draws or valuebets their crappy one pair hands. Or they bet something pointless like 15% of the pot.

However, in limped pots I usually check the river, because the fish love playing limped pots because the pot is relatively small so when I check the river they make a proper bluff at the end and valuebets their crappy one pair hands. I have no idea if this is something anybody else have observed or if it is only in my own mind. I like a check/call on the river. As played I call this river.