Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Remotely accessing primary PC

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the problem w/ RD?

[/ QUOTE ]

The secondary PCs I'm using don't have XP. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The secondary meaning the one you're connecting from? If it is running win2k then you can use the same RD client as with XP. Not sure if you can install it w/o admin privs, but it'd be worth a try. Oftentimes client programs will install under normal user privs (much depends on the setup/policies tho)
Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're running XP you may want to use the built in Remote Desktop instead since it also forwards sound and will be substantially less choppy tha the VNC variants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure XP Professional is installed on both machines though.

[/ QUOTE ]

RD works on XP Home, too

[/ QUOTE ]

No it does not. That's one of the main features you pay more for in XP Pro.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're running XP you may want to use the built in Remote Desktop instead since it also forwards sound and will be substantially less choppy tha the VNC variants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure XP Professional is installed on both machines though.

[/ QUOTE ]

RD works on XP Home, too

[/ QUOTE ]

No it does not. That's one of the main features you pay more for in XP Pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. The RD service can be installed on XP Home from an XP Pro CD...but it does not come with the Home version.

I knew I had connected to XP Home machines using RD before...but it was so long ago I forgot it had to be installed from a Pro CD.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:45 AM

Okay since I have

<ul type="square">[*]XP Home on my primary PC and...[*]Windows 2000 Pro on the CPU I'm trying to connect from[/list]
I can't use the remote, right?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay since I have

<ul type="square">[*]XP Home on my primary PC and...[*]Windows 2000 Pro on the CPU I'm trying to connect from[/list]I can't use the remote, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have an XP Pro disc, you can install RD on your XP home machine (may be a questionable licensing issue and/or may have to google how to get it working), but win2k can most definitely run the RD client to connect to either a Terminal Services or Remote Desktop server.

RD really beats the hell out of VNC, PC-Anywhere, GoToMyPC, LogMeIn.com, etc......I am normally anti-MS, but RD is pretty freaking sweet (and supports sound, lets you easilly connect drives and printers, share clipboards, etc). RD is da bomb if you have that as an option.

Edit: If you have no access to an XP Pro CD....I'd suggest logmein....but since you tried it and it drops out (????? no idea why....that sucks)...then it seems paying the ripoff gotomypc service may be your best bet if you can stomach paying monthly for something you shouldn't need to pay for [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 AM

Ok I see what develops. Thanks you all, thank you BiPolar_Nut!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My bad. The RD service can be installed on XP Home from an XP Pro CD...but it does not come with the Home version.

I knew I had connected to XP Home machines using RD before...but it was so long ago I forgot it had to be installed from a Pro CD.

[/ QUOTE ]

The client install you are talking about allows XP Home users to connect to an XP Pro machine. Not the other way around.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The client install you are talking about allows XP Home users to connect to an XP Pro machine. Not the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

where did I say client install for XP home???

You CAN install the Remote Desktop SERVICE on XP Home...it will show up in services.msc. I do know the difference between a client and server. You are 100% correct in not being able to install the service from a XP Home install....unless you have an XP Pro CD. You can install the RD service (and client) on XP Home from a XP Pro CD.

Just google it. XP Home doesn't allow inbound connections by default, nor can you make it do so if you only have XP Home CD's. If you have an XP Pro CD, however, you CAN install the RD service and get XP Home to ACCEPT inbound RD connections. I've done it.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

VNC
<ul type="square">[*]- Does not find host[*]- Does not work on secondary PCs that dont accept 3rd party software[/list]
[/ QUOTE ]

While I'd probably recommend RD or LogMeIn over it, VNC does have an option to work without 3rd party software (or did 3 years ago when I last used it). The host computer can be set to serve VNC to a Java applet in a web browser. You need to point the browser at a specific (configurable) port number though.

Edit: The problem with not finding the host is probably a misconfigured firewall. Make sure you've got the appropriate ports opened and forwarded to the proper host.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:07 PM

Bump. Anyone have more experience with these programs?

I have tried Pcanywhere, Remote Desktop, and GoToMyPc, and GoToMyPC so far for me is the only feasible solution for poker (only one fast enough).