Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Developing agression

OK thanks. Thats a quick rise through the ranks! My 'plan' was to get to 100 buyins at $3 and then move up to $5 and so on. I figure that if I drop back to 75 buyins at a level then I should move back down and replenish. I was two thirds there but since trying to change my style a bit have been dumped back to half way. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:06 AM

Devloping aggression? Works for me...

Old 09-18-2007, 04:29 AM

At $3 level it's just a lottery... any donkey will call your bubble push and suck out on you because only $3 is at stake.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Devloping aggression? Works for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Stella Artois works for me.....
Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At $3 level it's just a lottery... any donkey will call your bubble push and suck out on you because only $3 is at stake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point I guess. I do not get to play as much as I would like. So I figured that learning the discipline side of things at low stakes will keep me in the right frame of mind as things move up. $3 does not really matter. $5 matters little. $10 well....a couple of losses would be a nuisance.......$20.....well 10 losses and thats my BR!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM

It's not a bad plan. And the lottery thing just means play tight and try to be the one entering the pot with the best hand, and you'll win. It's just a question of how fast you think you can move up to a level where people take the game more seriously and you'll start to learn how to play against tougher opponents.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 PM

do not ignore Harrington. Read it and see what you can incorporate into your game. If some concepts seem iffy, post your questions here. The Harrington books are the best investment I made aside from SSHE by Ed Miller for my game. For STT, I'm not as loose as he is when it comes to Red Zone play pushes. But many of the other concepts helped me out big time.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's true
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do not ignore Harrington. Read it and see what you can incorporate into your game. If some concepts seem iffy, post your questions here. The Harrington books are the best investment I made aside from SSHE by Ed Miller for my game. For STT, I'm not as loose as he is when it comes to Red Zone play pushes. But many of the other concepts helped me out big time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Harrington's books are great for MTTs. If you want to learn STTs, ignore his zone system completely and learn ICM. Pushing as aggressively has he recommends would be suicide in a structure that pays you to play to place, as opposed to playing a very top heavy structure (MTT). Harrington 1 is a good book for MTTs and cash. Its not horrible for STTs, but he gets involved in more hands than your typical 2p2er early. If you don't have ICM down before studying Harrington 2, you won't have any idea when his advice applies and when it is suicide. BTW, the harrington books were the first poker books I bought and did help me quite a bit, as did Ed's limit holdem book, though I don't even play limit. That said, Harrington often does more harm than good in an STT, and I'm pretty sure Action Dan has logged far fewer STTs than most on 2p2.