Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Developing agression

Hi
After some weeks reading this forum I am trying to work on my end game agression. I play mainly $3 6-man turbos on PS. My plan is to eventually work up to higher levels. Over the last couple of months I been steadily recording a nice increase in the bankroll, up about $150.
My worry is this.....since I started to push more on the bubble I am getting called by some odd hands and losing more often. I am actually going backwards now. I am picking solid spots, pairs, suited connectors etc. Does anyone have some suggestions on working on this please. I am tempted to go back to my 'very tight and then getting looser' approach because at least it was showing a return. I know deep down though that to move up I have to work on this area. I am starting to look into ICM as well so hopefully a better understanding of that will help.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Developing agression

[ QUOTE ]
I am starting to look into ICM as well so hopefully a better understanding of that will help.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's going to be your ticket right there. The only way to know if pushing/calling/folding was correct is to assign ranges to your opponents and then run the ICM. (With some exceptions I'm not smart enough to explain.)

If you're getting called unexpectedly by some "odd hands" then you probably need to work on getting better reads as well. If you cannot accurately assign ranges to your opponents ICM won't be as helpful.

Look through the FAQ sticky as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:57 AM

Man I think reads or ranges at a $3 SNG would be pretty tough. If you can handle moving up a little it might be better than learning how to beat the $3s.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man I think reads or ranges at a $3 SNG would be pretty tough. If you can handle moving up a little it might be better than learning how to beat the $3s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suzzer, are you trying to say, "move up to where they respect your raises"? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 AM

I'm trying to say each level has it's own adjustments you have to make. I just don't know if putting in the time to learn how the average $3 SNGer plays is worth it. Once you get starting hands and a little ICM down, you're probably ready to play higher.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I was just messing with ya.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:49 AM

At the $3 level just play tight. No one is folding much for $3 and on the bubble you want to avoid any marginal situation.

Even at the $39 6-max level you see a lot of stupidity and I just stay pretty tight, though you can throw in a resteal now and then with reasonable showdown hands (med/big suited connectors, pairs, A9+, etc).
Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Thanks guys. I might consider stepping up. I do play a few $5 games but when you lose 2 or 3 on the spin it hurts. I know its only peanuts. I want to build up to the $10 and $20 games as that seems a bit more serious if that makes sense. I feel I ought to be able to at least re pad my bank roll from the $3 games though if the worst happens. Anyway, I appreciate the thoughts. I will do a lot more reading into ICM. I have read Bill Chens book recently but that just hurt my head! I got Harrington II today having jusy finished H I so that should help.
Cheers again
Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 PM

Please ignore Harrington for STTs.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:32 PM

After moving up from the 1s, 5s, 10s, 22s, 33s, 55s, and now 109s/215s in the past 8 months or so, the advice I would give is to grind yoru face off at the micros playing SUPER tag. Let the donks donate to your good hands and just make mistakes until you freeroll into the money. Once you've got a bankroll of around 200-400 from doing that I would advise you to get PT/PAHUD and maybe sngpt/sngwiz.