Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Official review thread: Cleverbeans

[ QUOTE ]
93--Open folding JTo from 4th position. I'm about 33% fold, 33% limp, 33% raise here. Is this a matter of taste, or is this a pretty clear fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Five players left to act, and stack sizes made this a fold for me. If I make a standard raise, and one of the 3k stacks jams, I'm getting 2-1 on a call, and if a big stack jams then I've already put 1/3 of my stack in on the raise.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:48 AM

Just watched the HH, and have many of the same questions as others -- open folding 88 on hand 2, raising A LOT with AA, trying to iso with A9o against a shorty who minraises, raising with 33 on the turn in hand 74, etc -- but a few others others ...

Hand 15: I wonder what others think about over limping with these small SCs early to try and flop big. Perhaps it's a leak in my game, but I will often limp in late position early in a tournament with these hands.

Hand 39: You have a marginal hand, but the Button and a tight image. The question really strikes at you not really bluffing much. I can see playing your squeaky tight style early if you really start opening up later.

I feel that raising with these types of hands in this position is great because they're easy to chuck when you encounter resistance, and can do great things for your image if you win at showdown.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
93--Open folding JTo from 4th position. I'm about 33% fold, 33% limp, 33% raise here. Is this a matter of taste, or is this a pretty clear fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

with his stack and size of the blinds, I'm not limping anything especially when 3 of the 5 guys left to act are push/fold mode.

hand 2: I'd limp the pp
hand 38: I don't mind completing, but a decent amount of time I'd shove
hand 47: I probably fold, minraising for half his stack when he has less than 4bb just screams "someone please play the hand so I can double"
hand 74: if I'm take a stab at it, it's on the flop, fold to a raise, and if called I'm ready to dump the hand
hand 114: I like a shove...calling just invites bb to play too
Old 09-16-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just watched the HH, and have many of the same questions as others -- open folding 88 on hand 2, raising A LOT with AA, trying to iso with A9o against a shorty who minraises, raising with 33 on the turn in hand 74, etc -- but a few others others ...

Hand 15: I wonder what others think about over limping with these small SCs early to try and flop big. Perhaps it's a leak in my game, but I will often limp in late position early in a tournament with these hands.

Hand 39: You have a marginal hand, but the Button and a tight image. The question really strikes at you not really bluffing much. I can see playing your squeaky tight style early if you really start opening up later.

I feel that raising with these types of hands in this position is great because they're easy to chuck when you encounter resistance, and can do great things for your image if you win at showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really like low suited gappers.

15. You can't overlimp. It is passed to you in CO. 63s is not a suited connector. I would generally raise or limp here, but folding is fine.

39. The money is not deep enough to raise/fold 52s. Limping behind and pushing are both possible, but the fold is standard. The money is really not deep enough to make playing a low suited gapper good.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:41 PM

betgo, your powers of perception and deduction are too great to be wasting your time playing poker and posting on 2+2, for there are scores of unsolved crimes waiting for a man like you!

Yes, I like suited gappers and connectors. I was thinking an overlimp from position, and seeing what unfolds postflop. You have two ways to win, by taking the pot if opponents are weak, or flopping big. Again, this might be a serious leak in my game.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
betgo, your powers of perception and deduction are too great to be wasting your time playing poker and posting on 2+2, for there are scores of unsolved crimes waiting for a man like you!

Yes, I like suited gappers and connectors. I was thinking an overlimp from position, and seeing what unfolds postflop. You have two ways to win, by taking the pot if opponents are weak, or flopping big. Again, this might be a serious leak in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are really better off folding 52s with 12xBB.

With reasonably deep money, it is OK to limp behind or raise with a low suited gapper. Once of the advantages is you usually flop absolutely nothing, so it is easy to fold or pure bluff with. When you raise or limp behind in position, you are in a good situation to bluff postflop, which is a lot of the value of the hand.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:14 AM

47: I fold
68: With 44 in turbo, I sometimes open raise here, sometimes fold...depends on my mood and image.
71: Wow. nice play. I would have ck'd pre; called flop... guess I'm too passive here.
74: I Cbet flop...fold to a ck/raise
76: I'll sometimes open raise/steal with these here.
114: I probably re-steal push with AJ here preflop.

All in all, nothing stands out as grotesque. I wouldn't have been nearly as aggro on 71; would have open stolen with a couple of hands you didn't (44,78s; JT) but it depends on the table and my image.