Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Official review thread: Cleverbeans

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 47: This is a fold for me two - villain is shortstacked and bets half his stack, gets a call and A9 is not a strong enough hand to shove here - you have no FE.[ QUOTE ]

I wasn't looking for FE on the initial raiser, I just figured he was probably desperate and making a steal, but he woke up with KK instead. The flat caller seemed to be playing very badly and I expected a call from him with a worse hands, as you can tell I didn't respect his play much this is the same player I made a move against later on for a big pot. The dead money was the biggest reason I decided to shove, and I also felt I was getting short and needed to make a move soon, A9 seemed a good enough reason to do this. I spoke with some other last night in the HSMTT IRC channel and they felt it was a fold, so the jam may not have been correct.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 52: why do you raise so strong with AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I raised 4X with one limper in ahead of me, I generally add or subtract a small amount of chips to give my opponents something to think about when there is nothing really to think about. I didn't want to raise less then my standard because I didn't want to telegraph my hand. Others have said I should have raised smaller as well, but I'm not sure if that makes the hand too easy to read.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 68 and Hand 74: Why do you fold 44 in CO-1 but raise 33 in CO. Still Hand 74: Don't you think that c-betting the flop is better than a check and then c/r the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 68 is not in the CO it's two position earlier, and that's why I don't raise it.

Hand 74, the line suggested by Betgo and others has been to c-bet the flop and let go. I played it this way because villain had not been out of line and I was pretty sure I was behind on the flop, so I figured the check gave me an extra card to try and catch up. On the turn his min-bet implied one of two things to me, he was either afraid of the A or had the A and wanted to get more money in, so I raised to see if I could make a cheap steal or to confirm I was really behind. In the end this hand would have cost me more if I c-bet, and I may not have seen the turn/river if I was check/raised. However, I think the biggest plus of the c-bet/fold is that I don't have to show down a weaker hand.

As played - how should I respond to the min-bet on the turn? I think folding is wrong but if I call and miss my set I'm letting go to most any bet on the river. Perhaps raise more?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 AM

As for 88 on hand 2, I normally raise 99 here but I let go of 88. With so many players to act behind me on the second hand, I'm likely to run into a calling station and then I'm OOP and it can be very difficult to tell where I am after the flop. If UTG had limped I would limp behind for set value, but I feel that open limping in EP is almost always a middle/low pair and my hand would be transparent. I do raise 99 in this spot however, so this has been a marginal spot for me.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:57 AM

thank you for your replies

i understand most of them, and you have an interesting approach to some hands, which is quite diffrent from mine specially with PP but interesting - and that is exactly what this HH-program is good for - to get a different view to some issues.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for 88 on hand 2, I normally raise 99 here but I let go of 88. With so many players to act behind me on the second hand, I'm likely to run into a calling station and then I'm OOP and it can be very difficult to tell where I am after the flop. If UTG had limped I would limp behind for set value, but I feel that open limping in EP is almost always a middle/low pair and my hand would be transparent. I do raise 99 in this spot however, so this has been a marginal spot for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
The open fold of 88 on level 1 is really bad. You should atleast limp, as you may win a big pot if you hit your set.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:17 AM

On 52, raising to 4xBB or a little less with AA will not telegraph your hand, because people won't know that you usually raise so much.

68. The fold of 44 is OK. It is awkward to play this hand with 15xBB, and as you say, your position is not that good.

74. Lol at checking the flop hoping to improve. You have only 2 outs.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense to me. First, I don't agree that it's transparent, as one might play small SCs the same way (I generally limp small SCs 40% and fold 60% from EP--someone tell me if that's really bad). But even if it's apparent that you have a small/medium PP, (a) it's not obvious exactly which one you have, so villains can't really be sure if you've hit or not if you bet your set, and (b) I think that most villains at 5.5/11 buy-ins will have a really hard time laying down TPTK or two pair, even if they suspect a set.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Open folding any pp at level 1 is really bad, particularly at low buyin. Your implied odds if you hit a set are too good.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:11 AM

I'd like to question 38 (completing with K9o in SB), just because it's the kind of hand I get in trouble with a lot. I understand that you're getting 7:1, but to me the problem is that either you muck the hand on a whiff, or you play confidently if the flop is exactly K9x or QJT (I haven't done the math, but certainly a lot less likely than 7:1), but anything else gets you in trouble.

So what do you do if you hit a K? Do you lead into three players with TPMK? If you check, what do you do if you're bet into?

It just seems to me that this hand is a lot more trouble than its worth.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to question 38 (completing with K9o in SB), just because it's the kind of hand I get in trouble with a lot. I understand that you're getting 7:1, but to me the problem is that either you muck the hand on a whiff, or you play confidently if the flop is exactly K9x or QJT (I haven't done the math, but certainly a lot less likely than 7:1), but anything else gets you in trouble.

So what do you do if you hit a K? Do you lead into three players with TPMK? If you check, what do you do if you're bet into?

It just seems to me that this hand is a lot more trouble than its worth.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't fold 38, but it is OK to fold if you are uncomfortable playing it postflop.

I was thinking of commenting that you could also push preflop on 38.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:38 AM

93--Open folding JTo from 4th position. I'm about 33% fold, 33% limp, 33% raise here. Is this a matter of taste, or is this a pretty clear fold?