Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: How often do you forget stuff instantly?

1 - Quite often, I'm terrible with learning names. Seems to be far worse when meeting more than one person at a time, kind of exponentially so. Once I get a name though I'm usually ok at remembering it.

2 - Not very frequently, but it happens. Seems to occur more at work because I'm often juggling a bunch of different things, and I'll sometimes forget one or more of them.

3 - All the time, probably because I'm rarely really interested in what I'm watching. I'm usually watching sports, a re-run of something I've seen a bunch of times, or something random that is about equal to a few other things that are on, so it usually doesn't matter when I forget what I was watching.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be unsurprised if many of you have excellent abilities to memorize numbers and phone numbers in contrast to your other shortcomings.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is me to a T. Why is that? Weird.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 PM

What was the queston?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:33 PM

Why am I able to remember numbers/phone numbers so well, yet forget many other small things? Did you read OP?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:59 PM

1) pretty much every time

2) rarely

3) rarely, only if original show was just something i flipped to to begin with (ie. not very important)
Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 PM

More and more often, as my kids suck out my brains
Old 06-02-2007, 10:12 PM

1) frequently, trying to work on it
2) so often, I will find myself going to the car and coming back into the apartment for stuff I forgot, sometimes multiple times.
3) sometimes, but with my new HD set the channels don't switch as quickly and there aren't as many. Also, I usually surf the guide and find something I want to watch. I find myself using the Last button often just to remember what I was watching before in case it's something I don't want to miss.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Al,

Song ID

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo - cool service (and free to use!), thanks for the heads up. Well, it will be free once one of my devices (I have Blackjack on Cingular, and SCH-u740 on Verizon) supports this app. But hopefully soon my days of typing in the chorus while I'm driving around will be over...

KBZ - this service is available on LG Env right now, so score one for your side.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Update - V Cast Song ID (available on most Verizon phones) is a pretty sweet (and free) service. It's not 100% (it hasn't misidentified a track yet, but will sometimes fail to recognize the song) but it's been >90%. I've used it driving, in Coffee Beans, in a restaurant, and at clubs.

-Al
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM

Where was I when this thread first came out?

There was a famous study called "How to become famous overnight", or something like that. I believe it was done by Jacoby which would make sense because Jacoby is awesome.

The gist of it was, subjects were read a list of names. Of course they weren't going to remember them all.

Joe Jones
Pat Smith

If you asked them to recite back the names, they'd never be able to do so. But, the next day or whatever, they were given a list of names and asked whether they were "Famous" or not:

Britney Spears
Todd Russo
Joe Jones

Even though the subjects did not remember hearing Joe Jones through any memory test they tried, a disproportionate number of subjects would misidentify Joe Jones as a "celebrity", as compared to Todd Russo. SO ON SOME DEEPER LEVEL THEY REMEMBERED HIS NAME!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 PM

1) Every single time.
2) Always.
3) Always. Somehow I've "corrected" this by instantly recording anything I'm interested in and watching, for fear of missing it.

There's a restaurant by my sister-in-law's house which my wife and I always want to try, but we're never there around meal-time. We always plan on checking it out some other time as we drive past it, checking out menus online or something. As soon as it's out of seeing distance, we instantly forget that this restaurant exists. I don't even know what it's called even though I've driven past it and made "mental notes" maybe 20 times.