Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How often do you forget stuff instantly? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=416415)

El Diablo 05-31-2007 12:36 PM

How often do you forget stuff instantly?

OK, three scenarios here:

1) You are talking to someone. You introduce yourself. 10 seconds later, you realize you have no idea what their name is.

2) You decide to do something (grab a bottle of water, maybe) on the way out of the house. You realize you forgot something and turn around to grab it from your room. You forget your initial task and leave.

3) You are watching something on TV. Commercial comes on, you flip channels and watch something for a few minutes, then totally forget about the first thing you were watching.

Just curious, how many of you forget stuff like this, and how often?

dustyn 05-31-2007 12:37 PM

Re: How often do you forget stuff instantly?

1) very frequently

2) almost never

3) never

gumpzilla 05-31-2007 12:38 PM

1) All the time. Seriously, probably about 80% of people I meet, unless for some reason I already know who they are and am just now attaching a face to a name.

2) Occasionally; I'll usually be aware of the forgetting but can't put it all back together.

3) This is rare.

Los Feliz Slim 05-31-2007 12:38 PM

All day, every day. I'm like the guy in "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat". If I tried to remember everything my head would explode. I live moment to moment.

Aloysius 05-31-2007 12:42 PM

1) Almost never. But if you asked me in college it would be all the time - I've worked on it.

2) Almost never. Also worked on this, I'm an efficiency monger. But never as bad as the name thing.

3) Don't really watch commercials, but when I did, this didn't come up alot.

-Al

SackUp 05-31-2007 12:42 PM

What was this thread about again?

SackUp 05-31-2007 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) very frequently

2) almost never

3) never

[/ QUOTE ]

this looks about right.

DonkeyKongSr 05-31-2007 12:44 PM

1) Unless I make a conscious effort to remember, every time.

2) Occassionally.

3) Rarely.

gumpzilla 05-31-2007 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Almost never. But if you asked me in college it would be all the time - I've worked on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gone the other way, I think. At some point, in most contexts, it became kinda unimportant to me.

punkass 05-31-2007 12:45 PM

1) This happens because most of the time I'm not really caring what their name is. Then later it turns out that "hey, this guy/girl is cool, I wish I remembered his/her name".

It's not really forgetting because I never really knew the name to begin with, even if they did tell me originally.