Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Prolly a pretty bad way to play 99

[ QUOTE ]
If I were Vil with UI AK, AQ, and you donked me , I'd put you on 99 or ATOC and freecard you.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) [Church Lady]Isn't that convenient?[/Church]
b) Freecarding me won't work, since I'm folding to a raise.
c) We're not playing against YOU we're playing against an unknown .50/1 player that doesn't have any more read on us than we have on him. Assuming this Vil is going to know about, and be able to appropriately execute, a freecard play, or just raise his AK/AQ for the hell of it is ridiculous.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 PM

yeah, that was sort a the point.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
boz: Funny, I discussed this hand with babar last night and one comment I made offhand is that reads can justify all kinds of lines here one of which is donk/fold flop. Here however I'm not convinced he won't raise AK since we've witnessed at least one hand where he went aggro on the flop and then folded the turn, and a flop donk on this board looks exactly like the bs it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if we're going to go by the "read" we have, then we should donk/call the flop and c/r the turn.

I also disagree that a flop donk is bs in this case, as it buys us information, and it gets us value about half the time.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:09 PM

I will often just limp pre-flop with 99 depending on the table. If the table is tightish then I like the raise. If it is loose then I probably limp more often than raise.

I don't like a fold on the flop at all. You are ahead here more often than not.

I would bet out on this flop. MP3 probably missed it. So, unless he has a bigger pair you are ahead of him. If he raises then you can proceed with caution and you may be lucky and get rid of CO.

I don't like a c/r on the flop. MP3 and CO will both call the raise. I don't want to build a pot with a holding this weak and vulnerable.

As played up to the flop I agree with the check/call line on the turn and river. With 2 players in I'm probably not betting for value. You also aren't going to get a better hand to fold.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:18 PM

I think it has been dragged trough the forums to boredom but raising 99 pf is a pretty standard equity push regardless of how many callers you get.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yeah, that was sort a the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're not freecarding me, are you? You also ignore the points that we can't assume we're playing against a TAG or any player that knows how to read hands and react appropriately (I'm not going to argue as to whether going for a free card against an unknown is appropriate).
Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM

well, no free card, but the implication is that there is a good chance you will get pushed out by any two cards in Vils 3-poping range so in that case you could have saved the donk-bet.

If we dont expect John Doe to pull that play very often donking makes sense.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 PM

betting this flop and folding to a raise is worse than c/r and folding to a raise IMO. Although the pot will be smaller, when you donk it sounds like the player described is somewhat likely to raise with overcards. I doubt very much whether he'll threebet without a pair (in this case an overpair) when you c/r the field here.

That being said, when your read is weak, as it is here, tend to shade it with typical tendencies of the game. Since this game was played online, tend to take lines that account for villian being a bit more aggro than you think.