Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: How -EV is this call?

I think you're overestimating the risk you'd be putting yourself in with a preflop push. Even a beginner would be hard-pressed to call a push with AJ knowing that the short stack is just about to bust. And even then, there are only 3 hands you're extremely upset to see if he calls (and he held none of the 3). You just got unlucky on the turn and river.

And if you just refuse to push preflop, I think you have to at least raise to 3x. If he calls and pushes the flop in that scenario, your decision is much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see now that ultimately I have to just step on the gas here. If the UTG is not as short as he is, I shove 99.9% of the time here. I hope people aren't thinking I minraise for fun here. Like I have said, I was playing weak and conceding the re-steal if he was willing to risk it. I had not been minraising at all before this hand. Others had been, and successfully. It was the least risk I could put at the time. I died trying to ensure the money, which is almost as close to all the time as it gets.

Ironically, the conservative route I took ended up costing me. I won't make the same mistake the next time.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 PM

You really should hold off on the results for a bit when you make these threads. I feel like if he didn't hit a flush you would be getting 2x as many "nice call" posts.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I died trying to ensure the money, which is almost as close to all the time as it gets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said something like this in your original post, as well. Dude, you play less than two games per week. You don't finish in the money "close to all the time," you have an average roi over a range of buyins over a very small sample set. Don't come here posting unconverted hands with results showcasing your bad play and claim you always make the money. Read the faq, post the hand correctly, and ask questions. That sounded perhaps overly harsh. Sorry.

As for the hand, yes you should push this preflop. Postflop, I am calling this push all day, because people at lower buyins will push any piece of this board all day, and you almost always have the best hand. Good call, tough beat, bro.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 PM

That was very poor word choice on my part. I, by no means, meant that I make the money in tournaments all the time. I don't know my statistics, nor do I know a good program to sign up for and view them. I am hear to learn, and my poker education is always continuing.

What I meant by that sentence is that I will finish in the money (3rd or better) close to all the time in this situation (which is the UTG player having basically no chips, 50% of which go into the pot in the next blind).

My bad on the miscommunication. And I did explain about the hand converter. As you can see, I'm still new to posting on this board. Haven't caught on to all the nuances yet.