Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Is the hit and run strategy considered bad etiquette?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, its totally fine. Don't stress about it. As someone else said, its really not a big deal online, especially if someone else is ready to take the seat.

This does tilt some folks, however. I sat down at a table once, played 4 hands and left after winning a decent amount, because I realized that my heads-up opponent was better than me. He followed me to another table and starting ranting in observer chat. The funny thing is that there was an open seat at the new table, but I guess he just wanted to play heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never played a live cash game, only small MTT. I play everything online: cash, SNG, MTT (but no heads-up table yet).

However, especially online at home with all of the possible non-poker distractions, there are a whole bunch of reasons you might abruptly leave your game:

You're tired, and your bed is there, empty and inviting.
American Idol is on in 5 minutes.
Your kids just got home from school.
Your cat just threw up on the carpet.
You check your caller ID and it's that hot girl you met Friday night.

You get the idea. Sometimes you just have to go, it's that simple. But I agree with the posts about when you shouldn't leave, whether it's live or online.

Leave when you're tired, when you've been drinking, when a pro takes the seat to your left, or when there are too many good players at the table.

Stay when the other players are tired, when the other guy is drinking, and when you're one of the best players at the table.

Whether you've won or lost a hand, or a lot of hands, has very little to do with it.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Is the hit and run strategy considered bad etiquette?

Its terrible etiquette..

Alot of newer online players will say its ok because there are no written rules about it.
But poker has alot of unwritten rules, and a long rich history.
Doing things like purposly running after you hit a pot spits in the face of all poker players.

You would never see any of the greats do this, only online chumps.

Sometimes you Just HAVE to go, and hit a pot just before you have to leave.. in those cases i usually stay for 1 orbit and then leave.

Show some respect for the game and its players.

On a side note, the same crappy attitude can be found in most online games.. smack talk is horrible online, with all kinds of racist insults... None of the players who say those sort of things would ever say them in real life, because they would get jumped in the parking lot.
Its no suprise people hit-and-run online, they are safe behind their little computers. freaking cowards..

-hyp