Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Is the hit and run strategy considered bad etiquette? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=481922)

polyviewness 08-20-2007 06:35 AM

Is the hit and run strategy considered bad etiquette?

I was playing 5/10 pot limit omaha the other day where i won a 1.2k pot after putting all my money on the flop and beating my opponent with a higher two pair. After winning the pot i quickly sat out, then the guy started berating me and saying that it was bad etuiqette to use the hit n run tactic, i was just wondering if this is true or not?

Isnt that the whole point of cash games, to make a profit and leave while your up?

QuickLearner 08-20-2007 07:39 AM

Re: Is the hit and run strategy considered bad etiquette?

Yes, it is bad etiquette to hit and run. You're posting in the beginners forum, so I'm going to assume you really didn't know how your action would affect your opponent. Especially in the high stakes heads-up arena, you'll rapidly gain a reputation as a ratholer which will make it difficult to get games.

Try to remember that your poker career should be thought of as one long game. Whether you're up or down at the end of one particular session is meaningless.

Teddie 08-20-2007 08:34 AM

Hit and runners are scum.

thoman8r 08-20-2007 09:44 AM

When facing questions of etiquette and ethics while playing poker, I always find it helpful to apply the following test - Would this action result in bodily harm if I were to do it at a back-room poker game in Texas?

It's amazing how accurate this test is. In your case, yes it most certainly would. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

metsandfinsfan 08-20-2007 09:47 AM

meh

lucky_mf 08-20-2007 11:54 AM

In online poker it is perfectly fine to win a big pot and sit out. You are not obligated to stick around by the rules of the sites or by any ethical considerations.

Lucky

Icarus152 08-20-2007 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In online poker it is perfectly fine to win a big pot and sit out. You are not obligated to stick around by the rules of the sites or by any ethical considerations.

Lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

DiamondDog 08-20-2007 12:18 PM

Say I've been sitting at a table for an hour or more, can't hit a flop to save my life, and have been continually buying more chips to keep my stack topped up - donating to all comers, basically - then manage to stack somebody on the last hand before I was planning to quit anyway, it's not considered bad etiquette to immediately sit out?

Or is it?

Ironic 08-20-2007 12:50 PM

Why on earth should it matter?

metsandfinsfan 08-20-2007 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say I've been sitting at a table for an hour or more, can't hit a flop to save my life, and have been continually buying more chips to keep my stack topped up - donating to all comers, basically - then manage to stack somebody on the last hand before I was planning to quit anyway, it's not considered bad etiquette to immediately sit out?

Or is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

online it is fine especially when there is somebody waiting for your seat as soon as you get up