Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Your Worst Poker Enemy: Intuition vs. Logic

My understanding is that the brain build neural pathways for the things it does most often. It optimizes those connections. So if you spend your time playing poker and studying poker hands, those connections will become extremely efficient. Perhaps people like Ungar and Brunson developed those pathways at a very early age, so that it seemed natural.

In Super System, Brunson talks a lot about intuition, but he also talks about dealing out hold'em hands to get a sense of how the hands come out. He didn't know the math, but he had a sense of what was likely to happen.

I'm sure Michael Jordan has a lot of natural talent, but he also worked harder than anyone else. Jerry Rice was the same way.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Your Worst Poker Enemy: Intuition vs. Logic

[ QUOTE ]
My understanding is that the brain build neural pathways for the things it does most often. It optimizes those connections. So if you spend your time playing poker and studying poker hands, those connections will become extremely efficient.

[/ QUOTE ]
Makes sense and I agree.

I haven`t read YWPE yet so I don`t know what Shoonmaker says on the topic.
I will have to revisit this thread after I read the book since it is on my "Books to read" list.
I think I have like 4 books to go before it. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]