Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Final table \"bubble-fund\"

It is IMO, SMART money to throw in that 10 bucks each for that bubble bunny person.

Reason is, that the shorter stacks will loosen up, and be less willing to wait to play less quality hands if they know they are going to get something for their efforts.

As for being a chip leader, well, if you played poker tourneys for very long, you'd know that could change in a hand or two at the final table (which is why even if I had a monster chip lead over the rest of the table, I'm always willing to talk a deal to chop as well).

You could go card dead as well, and end up out far less than first too.

I've discovered over time, that giving the bubble people (because sometimes it also pays to give 2 bubble people money, when say the payout is 18, and your down to the 2 final tables) something, even if it's just their buyin back, pays off in the end.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Reason is, that the shorter stacks will loosen up, and be less willing to wait to play less quality hands if they know they are going to get something for their efforts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good because?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Nothing wrong with not throwing the $10 in. You simply won't be apart of it then- 10th place will get $10 less and you will get nothing if you finish in 10th. I've seen a ton of people do this(I never have) and none of us at the table ever had any problem with the person refusing to do it.

I'm shocked so many people in here are implying that theres anything at all wrong with it. Essentially its just another form of a deal made at a final table.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good because?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing because they'll push anyway, and you want them to push with worse hands?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with not throwing the $10 in. You simply won't be apart of it then- 10th place will get $10 less and you will get nothing if you finish in 10th. I've seen a ton of people do this(I never have) and none of us at the table ever had any problem with the person refusing to do it.

I'm shocked so many people in here are implying that theres anything at all wrong with it. Essentially its just another form of a deal made at a final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is one of those situations (like choppping blinds) where if you just say politely what you're doing (or not doing) 90% of people won't care. The other 10% suck and who cares if they're pissed off at you.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 PM

Dealing with this point by point:
[ QUOTE ]
It is IMO, SMART money to throw in that 10 bucks each for that bubble bunny person.

As for being a chip leader, well, if you played poker tourneys for very long, you'd know that could change in a hand or two at the final table (which is why even if I had a monster chip lead over the rest of the table, I'm always willing to talk a deal to chop as well).

You could go card dead as well, and end up out far less than first too.

I've discovered over time, that giving the bubble people (because sometimes it also pays to give 2 bubble people money, when say the payout is 18, and your down to the 2 final tables) something, even if it's just their buyin back, pays off in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their loose pushes are often closer to perfect strategy than tight folds are.

Yes, things can change in poker quickly. Give up poker tomorrow if you arent willing to accept such risk.

You cant judge something in present time based on future unknown considerations.

You havent discovered anything from the evidence presented.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:20 AM

I played a couple tournies in Tunica recently, and one of the payout sheets showed that an additional 3% was taken out of the players pool for the dealers (beyond the +x number). I'm surprised this fact wasn't mentioned as a reason not to tip even more to the dealers. Is that % not a standard thing?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM

this is like a $50 fun multi - it doesnt really matter that much either way. when this has come up for me before my answer is that i''ll go with the flow - there's no way im going to be the only one that refuse to do it, but if someone else doesnt want to then i'd respect that too. for the sake of $10 and not wasting loads of time arguing while the blinds go up it just doesnt seem worth spending much time thinking about. its also worth bearing in mind that if you are the one who refuses people might target you more at the table thinking how they 'really wanna bust that guy'

of course if the stakes are significantly higher and i played for aliving it would be completely different and the very valid points people have made about exploiting bubble play etc would really matter
Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good because?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing because they'll push anyway, and you want them to push with worse hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like that, then they are out of the game, and everyone moves up (in the pay scale).
Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM

I recently got to the final table of a local event with the same setup but with 8 paid and 1 bubble.

I was 2nd in chips and refused to hand over money for the bubble boy.
Everyone else did and they made me feel like "that guy"

It really [censored] me off when people tell me how I should spend my money.

If I finished 9th I wouldnt expect anyone to bail me out, I know the rules, 8 pays, thats it.

Outside of the payment its -EV to pay the bubble if you have skill and a larger stack.

With a bubble it makes the smaller stacks tighten up.

They are more likely to fold in marginal situations.

As for Karma, I won the event.