Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Re: AQ 3bet preflop then i improve but call?

Hand 1: I guess I don't mind the flop peel getting 12:1 closing the action, but it has to be close. I play the rest the same way.

Hand 2: I bet the turn. The K is a good card for you. It's possible that SB was waiting for a non-heart turn to pop his K and the LAG might be getting fancy, but the fact that you weren't raised on the flop bodes well for you. I think this is one of those places where the turn continuation semibluff makes sense 3-way.

If you check and UTG bets (which he probably will do a lot), SB knows that you're almost certainly not on a K and that UTG will bet a wide range of hands, which gives him a green light to raise hands like JJ and QQ and A9 against your naked draw (or possible shot that tries to make use of the LAG to push out Villain), so you spend 2 bets fairly frequently anyway without as much fold equity (SB might still fold to UTG's bet, but it's less likely than if you popped it again).

Edit: I used the reads and pf action from hand 1 in hand 2. It's a less obvious bet if the semi-reasonable seeming player is in the middle, but you do put some pressure on him with a bet in front and the LAGgier player still to act. I could go either way.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 PM

Hand 1

I raise the turn here, with UTG still in. If he's got a hand such as JT and is drawing to 5 outs, I want him to pay an extra BB if I'm ahead. If SB 3-bets, I can probably fold this in good conscience, 'cause I'm probably behind and drawing to 3 outs at most. If just called by SB and UTG, value bet river.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 PM

Hand 2

I'd want to know how often they fold the turn before I decided to bet. Unless they fold the turn a fair amount, I think I'd check/call this turn. The board is pretty drawy with the hearts and possible gutshot. I doubt you're going to drop both players on the turn if you bet. Are you planning on firing the third barrel on the river if you miss? (This is something I rarely, if ever, do, but sometimes think I should follow through with...)
Old 03-07-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These statements don't really jive:
[ QUOTE ]
If the limpers are fairly loose (postflop) then I would just check-call the flop and let them tag along

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It discourages the limpers from calling

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what you're saying, but I think a lot of the time loose players will peel a flop they like, raises behind be damned. They're much more likely to fold the turn when UI than the flop.

Hand one goot. Hand two is pretty close, I think. Discouraging me from betting is having to call a bet if raised. Encouraging me to bet is that they both need to fold somewhere in the area of 15% to make it a good bet on immediate odds alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check-call then they are more likely to tag along than if you bet out. And if they chase a lot then you have very little hope of getting all three of them to fold... so what does betting accomplish? Check-calling the flop sets you up to checkraise the turn if you hit. Overall this approach is setting you up to win the biggest pot when you hit. Betting out does not maximize the amount that you win when you hit, nor does it maximize your chances of making everyone fold.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you check-call then they are more likely to tag along than if you bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess this is just a fundamental disagreement. If they're calling one bet on the flop, they're calling one bet on the flop, regardless of where it comes from.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1: raise the river, fold to a 3bet.
hand 2: I would prefer a bet, but I don't mind checking either as long as you bet any non-A river if he checks behind.

edit: I just realized on hand 2 you got two flop callers. I think you dont have enough FE to bet there and you're asking to be raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are beating TT/QQ/KK a total of only 15 combos or 9 if you discount TT, which IMO is best. We are behind AJ-6, AK-9, JJ-3, AA-1 19 and splitting with AQ which MAY raise and push us off the pot.

so 19 : 9 and also the chance that he could also push us off the pot with a 6 combo chop. I don't think there is value in this raise since its HU.

True