Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Help me out with my $5.5 SNG\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I think on the first one:

Hand 1: Raise AQ pf

Hand 3: Fold AJ pf, flop is fine, shove the river for value, the pots so big that even if he hit his flush he's not getting the odds if he calls the turn and gets the rest of your stack on the river. Most likely hand for villain is A with a weaker kicker.

Hand 8: I fold A9o, even to a minraise, unless villain has been very loose.

Hand 11: Raising the flop is fine if villain is aggressive post flop, but I prefer calling the flop and seeing what he does on the turn. If villain checks the turn fire out a bet, it's cheaper then raising the flop.

Hand 15: Shove A5o pf. I check it down as well.

Hand 17: If villain leads at lots of pots I shove over his flop bet to protect your hand which probably is best, if he hasn't gotten too out of line then I play it the same.

I might have missed some ICM problems, Hand 8 probably is a +EV shove but I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply also!
SNG1:
#1: Raise AQ? Crazy just told me to play AQ/AJ more tight. "don't call/raise open limpers/raises with marginal hands like AT/AJ and even AQ"

[/ QUOTE ]

I started in July raising AQ and I'm winning more by raising then limping. Although I hate AJ early in a sng, I stack alot of players with AJ or worse when we both flop an A. Raising with AQ is profitable just because all the donks can't let go of their A-nothing hands when they flop a pair.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:36 PM

hand 3 FOLD AJ
hand 15 yes steal the blinds you have an A (3bet)
hand 16 why not he's the SB chances of him holding an A or K are small.
You have a pair and chances of someone connecting with the flop is 1:3 so that flop is yours!!! (it's not a multiwaypot) headsup do the same btw

SNG 2
hand 2 yes you have an overpair and lots of outs to improve, like i said becarefull if a club comes (be willing to lay down a made straight to a large bet) because with 2 callers at least one is chasing the flush.

in the first levels you should play TAG and at bubbletime you should play LAG (depending on chipstacks) if you make it ITM your % will rise.
AQ and AJ go up in value when the blinds go up and you are in LP.

HOH, the poker theory, NLHT&P, the poker mindset
Old 08-03-2007, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the replies again.
Is the new SNG book a good choise for me?
Is it oke if I post one or more tournament histories every day?
Should I post them in this topic or make a new ones?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 PM

You can raise AQ from EP in the early stages but i think it's dangerous for serveral reasons.

if you see a re-raise you have to fold and lose chips.
if someone has AK and decides to call and see a flop an A on the flop can stack you.
in the low level sng's lot's of players will call a raise wich means you have to hit the flop, and have to fold to a bet on the flop.

I think it's close with AQ but don't call raises with AQ in the early stages.
AQ is like mike tyson: it looks strong but gets beaten a lot
Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the new sng book is really for high stakes sng's (100$+ wich is even tighter and more crazy in strategy sometimes)
you can post them here i'm happy to help you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can raise AQ from EP in the early stages but i think it's dangerous for serveral reasons.

if someone has AK and decides to call and see a flop an A on the flop can stack you.
in the low level sng's lot's of players will call a raise wich means you have to hit the flop, and have to fold to a bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are enough donks at the lower stakes that will stack off with worse aces. You will have to fold to a reraise most of the time but that's ok, you make more then enough money when you stack weaker aces. There was a big thread about this a couple of months ago. Basically I'll raise with AQ but fold to a raise. When I flop tp with AQ I play it fast and confidently, I can't say the same if I were to raise with AJ.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are enough donks at the lower stakes that will stack off with worse aces. You will have to fold to a reraise most of the time but that's ok, you make more then enough money when you stack weaker aces. There was a big thread about this a couple of months ago. Basically I'll raise with AQ but fold to a raise. When I flop tp with AQ I play it fast and confidently, I can't say the same if I were to raise with AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's true sometimes i raise them to (2bet) from EP but i like to know where i am in a hand and if someone flatcalls with AK i can get in trouble.
I also hate it to put a 2/3 bets raise down to a re-raise and see some donk re-raising with AT or something [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
i think it doesn't really matter but you have to know how to play it.
Just don't call raises with AQ in the early stages.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The new SNG book is getting some reasonable praise, as well as criticism, from Slim and Devin on the review thread. If I read them correctly, it's likely to be useful for a new SNG player. As with any advice on this forum, you do need to understand that there are substantial differences in typical play at high/mid/low buy-ins - so a move that's great at 109s might be unwise at 6.50s, or vice versa. If you understand the concepts and when and how to use them, rather than just memorising the moves, you shouldn't get into too much trouble.

You might also want to post some individual hands that caused you problems or that you're unsure about (hands that you won as much as you lost, and ones you open folded preflop). This'll get you more detailed feedback on specific situations. The FAQ has guidelines for posting hands.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 PM

post lots of hands, read lots of posts! we're all hear to help each other get better, so the more questions you have the more often you should post and the more often you'll get good advice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2007, 12:50 AM

I have been playing the $1.20s and I think 16% ROI even with the large rake means you either have been unlucky or have some big leaks.

Also a point in Game 1, Hand 11: it looks like the blinds went up to 75/150 very soon after. So a re-raise and cbet puts you from 12BB to 6BB which really kills the FE.