Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Help me out with my $5.5 SNG\'s

I have been browsing this forum for a while now and I finally decided to sign up.
I have been playing (a lot of) poker since early may 2007.
I started with SNG's about a month ago.
I played about 90 $1.2 SNG's with ITM 51.2% ROI 16.1%.
I decided to try $5.5 SNG's.
I played my first two today, but did not make the money in either.
I have trimmed the HH's of both tourneys on FTR and I really want some advice on my play.
SNG 1
SNG 2

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Help me out with my $5.5 SNG\'s

Looks like you got into trouble postflop in a couple hands. The big hand that stood out to me was hand #11 in SNG 1. I'm just shoving PF to avoid what happened to you. I'd suggest playing more...2 is not nearly enough SNGs to begin to be worried.

edit: I just realized that this isn't a turbo but you still want to avoid marginal spots postflop.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the comment!
About SNG1 hand #11:
That guy was trying to steal a lot of pots and I had seen him fold to a reraise a couple of times earlier so I really thought he was full of air and I could make him fold.

Oh and about being worried, thats not so much the case. I just want to improve.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:45 PM

Just a quick comment on your results. It's a tiny sample, but your ITM is very high, and in particular is very high for your ROI, which suggests that you are crawling into the money with a microstack a lot. You might want to practice ICM and shortstack push/fold strategy for STTs to help you stop the blinds eating you up so badly.

Also, I'd suggest not moving up until you're really confident in your game as well as bankrolled for it. If you can afford to play the $5.5s on your bankroll you don't need to move back down, but you may as well sort out the basics as cheaply as possible. You need thousands of tourneys to know much at all about your stats, but with a few hundred you can at least get a feel for whether the distribution as well as the summary stats look reasonable.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:51 PM

SNG1

hand 3 don't raise AJ preflop i fold after two limpers
hand 6 just call and see a flop
hand 7 don't play A8o
hand 8 don't call a raise with A9
hand 10 don't open limp with J9
hand 11 don't raise an EP limper with AJ
hand 15 raise the SB with an Ace
hand 16 bet the flop when you hit a pair against the SB

SNG2
hand 2 you should at least call the turn you have a overpair and a openended straight draw, just becarefull of clubs

this was just a quick look, so i think you should tighten up more preflop and don't call/raise open limpers/raises with marginal hands like AT/AJ and even AQ.(these hands are nice to raise with in LP)
Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 PM

Here's what I think on the first one:

Hand 1: Raise AQ pf

Hand 3: Fold AJ pf, flop is fine, shove the river for value, the pots so big that even if he hit his flush he's not getting the odds if he calls the turn and gets the rest of your stack on the river. Most likely hand for villain is A with a weaker kicker.

Hand 8: I fold A9o, even to a minraise, unless villain has been very loose.

Hand 11: Raising the flop is fine if villain is aggressive post flop, but I prefer calling the flop and seeing what he does on the turn. If villain checks the turn fire out a bet, it's cheaper then raising the flop.

Hand 15: Shove A5o pf. I check it down as well.

Hand 17: If villain leads at lots of pots I shove over his flop bet to protect your hand which probably is best, if he hasn't gotten too out of line then I play it the same.

I might have missed some ICM problems, Hand 8 probably is a +EV shove but I'm not sure.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 PM

I don't see much wrong with sng 2.

Hand 6: I'd have to check out sngpt, not sure on the KTo push.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice!
edit: this is about Crazy Poro's post
I am not totally convinced about a few hands.
Can you perhaps explain the hands in more detail?
SNG1 #3: Do I really want to just call and have a multiway pot?
#15: Raise with A5??
#16: Bet the flop with bottom pair with 27 and <10 BB's?

SNG2 #2: Really call after a bet and call and someone yet to act? I really thought my 5's were no good here and it was not certain I would win if I made a straiht (other could 2).

Do I really need to tighten up? Thats a surprise to me...
I play like 7-12% voluntary pots and average at this level is like 30%. Isn't it true that hands like AQ and maybe even AJ go up and value and I should raise them to chase people out?

I also have questions about books and vidos:
What books are most useful for SNG's?
I am currently reading the HOH serie.

Are there any good and free instructional SNG (online) video's? How can I get them?

Oh and a question about tournament summaries:
Is there anyway I can auto save/request tournament summaries? I request via Poker Tracker now and I then import them to my spreadsheet, but it takes a while this way.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I think on the first one:

Hand 1: Raise AQ pf

Hand 3: Fold AJ pf, flop is fine, shove the river for value, the pots so big that even if he hit his flush he's not getting the odds if he calls the turn and gets the rest of your stack on the river. Most likely hand for villain is A with a weaker kicker.

Hand 8: I fold A9o, even to a minraise, unless villain has been very loose.

Hand 11: Raising the flop is fine if villain is aggressive post flop, but I prefer calling the flop and seeing what he does on the turn. If villain checks the turn fire out a bet, it's cheaper then raising the flop.

Hand 15: Shove A5o pf. I check it down as well.

Hand 17: If villain leads at lots of pots I shove over his flop bet to protect your hand which probably is best, if he hasn't gotten too out of line then I play it the same.

I might have missed some ICM problems, Hand 8 probably is a +EV shove but I'm not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply also!
SNG1:
#1: Raise AQ? Crazy just told me to play AQ/AJ more tight. "don't call/raise open limpers/raises with marginal hands like AT/AJ and even AQ"
Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 PM

The verdicts out on the sng book by Collin Moshman. Other then that there really aren't any sng books. HOH is more a mtt book. I don't use much if any of HOH for sngs. The best thing you can do is buy sngwiz or sng power tools and poker tracker and post here and get lots of advice from the best sng players.

AJ goes up in value when you get short handed and the blinds are at least in level 4. The trouble with AJ is if you raise it you stand to when lots of small pots and lose lots of big pots. AJ puts you in tons of marginal situations, which IMO should be avoided early in a sng. If you limp and flop tp in a multiway pot, how do you know your tp is good? You could be almost drawing dead or be way ahead.

From you hh it looks like villain likes to limp with all kinds of [censored] so A5 is an instant shove for me. IIR you had around 10bbs, ship it in you're way ahead of villain's range if he calls. More then likely he folds and you increase your stack.

Hand 16 throwing out a bet is ok. I'd be more inclined to bet if I had a bigger stack. If you're called you'll have to shut down.