Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Saving Ones Citizens From The Tyranny Of.....BOTTLED WATER!!! (NS

[ QUOTE ]

1. Nielso is right about this too WTF should government have to say about what i eat or drink.

2. As long as their are no substances involved deemed regulatable. (Alcohol, THC ..bong water [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

3. I think there pretty much 3 things the government should stay out of What I eat, Drink and Breathe....

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these things is not like the others.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Nielso is right about this too WTF should government have to say about what i eat or drink.

2. As long as their are no substances involved deemed regulatable. (Alcohol, THC ..bong water [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

3. I think there pretty much 3 things the government should stay out of What I eat, Drink and Breathe....

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these things is not like the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

no you need all 3 to survive

and while i was thinking of stuff like cigareete smoke.
(Them telling me what to do)

You would be correct for stuff like smog greenhouse blah blah
Old 08-03-2007, 09:32 AM

I mean deemed by who?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:43 AM

It depends on exactly what we're talking about here. I wouldn't support, say, a city-wide ban on bottled water, but a competing ad campaign and/or a moderate Stupidity Tax on the product both seem reasonable. It depends on where you live, of course; if you're in central Florida and your tap water comes from a well and tastes like sulfur, then bus in that bottled crap. If you live here in NYC or San Francisco, however, where the tap water is great tasting and clean, people are making a really dumb decision by buying lots of bottled water, and it's a decision that, writ large, has a negative effect on everyone else.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on exactly what we're talking about here. I wouldn't support, say, a city-wide ban on bottled water, but a competing ad campaign and/or a moderate Stupidity Tax on the product both seem reasonable. It depends on where you live, of course; if you're in central Florida and your tap water comes from a well and tastes like sulfur, then bus in that bottled crap. If you live here in NYC or San Francisco, however, where the tap water is great tasting and clean, people are making a really dumb decision by buying lots of bottled water, and it's a decision that, writ large, has a negative effect on everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

a negative effect on everyone else ??????? WTF ??

It's amazing these threads .... who the %^&* is anyone to tell me what to %^&*#$% drink ?????

For the record I drink Tap water or Beer. But I'll be damned if some save the fish guy or plastics are bad guy tells me what I can or cannot do. What the %$^& happened to America ??

" I think i'll bottle water and sell it " Guy does it and starts to get rich.
NOW
Government steps in.... Your making too much money that we should be getting. "Bottled water banned"

Does not sound like Democracy in action to me.

I liked the [censored] episode with Penn and teller on bottled water where they were serving ppl bottled water out of a garden hose and though how stupid people are.

But Stupidity is no reason to start banning X and Z. You retards are ruining this country.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should have to pay a Stupidity Tax for this post.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Saving Ones Citizens From The Tyranny Of.....BOTTLED WATER!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Why does the government have to deny them a product they want? Why do they have to get in the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they don't like competition, and since they have a monopoly of making law and using violence, they can and will outlaw competition.

I can't wait for the mob to start running Evian.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Feel better now, gov?

Good. Now go back and read the part of my post where I said I didn't support banning bottled water. Then, see if you can work up a comparable amount of mouth-foam over the idea of an ad campaign or a moderate excise tax. I'm rooting for you.

Default Re: Saving Ones Citizens From The Tyranny Of.....BOTTLED WATER!!! (NSFW)

The point about city workers using tax monies to buy bottled water is the main one IMO.

We pay the government to make water. We should not pay them again to buy different water from the one that they provide. That is insane, its like Coke paying for its employees to buy Pepsi.

If the people in a government office want to spend their own money on bottled water that should be no problem.

Default Re: Saving Ones Citizens From The Tyranny Of.....BOTTLED WATER!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Forgetting price for a second, the number one reason people buy bottled water is convienence. You can't carry a glass of tap water around all day. The bottle itself is the value, and often the convienence of the distrubtion point/method.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could just buy non-disposable bottles; that would provide the convenience of being able to transport it, a more efficient use of resources (since you don't have to keep paying bottled water companies for their bottle and the cost of them getting that bottle to the market), and you don't waste a bunch of plastic.

I think most of the bottled water makers implicitly, if not explicitly admit that they bottle their water from public sources, so I'm skeptical their water is any cleaner than what comes out of most American's faucets. Even so, a good filter solves this problem, too.

So I won't comment on whether or not the state should legislate this, but it seems to be that buying bottled water is mostly wasteful and needless.