Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Downswing question-- starting to think I suck, lol

Frosteater: are you saying you win at 25NL but are down 29 (!) buyins at 10NL? How can this be? I think the word 'downswing' is reserved for losing some buyins in a row although you are really a winning player. Are you?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frosteater: are you saying you win at 25NL but are down 29 (!) buyins at 10NL? How can this be? I think the word 'downswing' is reserved for losing some buyins in a row although you are really a winning player. Are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just checked it, it's actually 30 buy-ins. Don't ask me why, my 10NL stats are almost identical to my 5NL stats, where I'm doing way better. To be precise it's like this:

5NL - 7.16 ptBB/100 - 38,500 hands
10NL - -2.18 ptBB/100 - 68,500 hands
25NL - 6.37 ptBB/100 - 4,500 hands

As I mentioned, my sample size for 25NL is rather small, maybe it's a completely different story after 20k hands, but I'm feeling really comfortable there and I like to think my game got better there, too. I was actually a bit reluctant to post, since I'm probably not a winning player according to OP yet, but I wanted to make the point, that cb4mvp is definitely not alone with his bad run and I think it'll be a lot better once he found the sweet spot, where he'll be comfortable about his game and be able to become better as a player - which is really hard once your confidence has taken a few hits. That's the reason for my reply, to tap a few shoulders and show the importance of not letting this stuff get to you too much - we've all went through this, I suppose, and this is where we have to find out, what works to keep our heads clear. For me it was moving up (strange move, I won't disagree) and while I'm not advising OP to do the same, I found out that trying too hard might not be the best idea, so I really recommend trying a few things out to regain confidence in the way we play. Might just be my experience, but I think, feeling uncomfortable at the tables is worse than any form of tilt.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:37 AM

As said earlier: take a look at your stats in PokerTracker.

But stats are not the only thing; My problem was I'm calling way too many all-ins on the river when I'm obviously beat. Or I go all-in when my opponent has the nuts.
That stuff costed me a lot on money.

And on 10NL you should really be making a lot of money of players with a vpip of > 50%. Make sure you sit on the seat on their left and play against them.
Do your homework and learn how to play against these guys.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:44 AM

Go on Poker Tracker. Look at every hand you lost a stack on. Decide if you played the hand correctly or not. (Got the money in good).

Then decide if its a downswing or you suck. You probs suck.

Then identify leaks, particularly any leaks that show over and over and then plug plug plug.