Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Deep in 22R, AQ in the BB vs. huge SB stack

It doesn't matter how you would play AA, when you minraise, this is what you put into villain's mind so you know he's flopped well when he shows a willingess to continue with the hand OOP. The point is that you're deep enough to play some poker here. If you miss completely, and the guy fires two barrels, you've got to fold to the second one. But, on the whole, if you minraise him, he's going to check to you on the flop and you have luxury of playing a hand in position agaisnst an opponent who's saying "WTF I hate minraisers". Obviously, you're calling if he moves in pre, which he probably will with AT/AJ, 66-JJ.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks registrar! That makes a lot of sense. I get the initiative, in position, with a pot size that gives me options.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:23 PM

3 people in this thread advocating shoving for the reason that it makes your hand easier to play.

Do NOT look for easy decisions at the poker table. Look for maxEV plays. When you are studying the game you should expecially not take the easy way out, rather you should study how to make maxEV plays.

In the OPs shoes my default line is to call preflop and then smooth call his cbet on 80% of the flops. I probably then fire a 22k bet on the turn and take it down more than 60% of the time (keep in mind that his hand misses the flop 1/3 of the time too). If he checks to me on the flop I probably bet and then fold to his cr often.

A pf minraise is actually pretty sexy but I would have never given that play any thought at the table... maybe next time I will.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:26 PM

I really like the min-raise idea registrar. I hate min-raisers, and I can see how the SB would say, "stupid min-raisers" and call, thus giving us the upper hand post-flop.

I think I have convinced myself min-raising isn't terrible in every situation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think I have convinced myself min-raising isn't terrible in every situation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, the stack sizes (well, my stack size) make this a good play. The stack size is exactly why I had so much trouble. Smaller and it's and easy shove, larger and it's and easy raise or float. I'm right at the point where a normal raise puts me in an uncomfortable stop relative to the pot size.

I'm certainly not going to start min raising out of the BB very often...but registrar has given me some ideas on what I'm trying to achieve (pot control and initiative) and in this case a minraise gets those.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:10 PM

I advocated a raise to 25K, but my betsizing is off because it puts you in a harder spot, doesn't it? Starting to think mini-raise is best - just thought I'd put it out there, since my betsize here is kinduv [censored].

Barry
Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 PM

I agree with others that it is best to either flat call or overbet push. If you make a standard reraise, you may be in a difficult situation postflop with villain to act first. Most of the time, you miss the flop.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a call. I also like a minraise because this pisses people off and sometimes induces a shove from a worse hand but, in particular, creates exactly the right impetus and pot-size to play this hand in position most profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on for me.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like a call. I also like a minraise because this pisses people off and sometimes induces a shove from a worse hand but, in particular, creates exactly the right impetus and pot-size to play this hand in position most profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I feel like registrar pwned this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]