Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Deep in 22R, AQ in the BB vs. huge SB stack

We're well into the money at this point, maybe 20 people left.

I'm clearly way ahead of the SB's range here, but my stack size is such that I'm not sure how to bet this. I'm too large to shove. If I raise to something like 25k and c-bet, that nearly chops my stack in half. There's got to be a line that makes this hand easier to play and less vulnerable to him bluffing a dry flop.

Read: SB has played well, no major gaffes, stealing regularly, but mostly showing down good cards when played back at. He's been willing to go all-in with TP a couple times against somewhat shorter stacks than me.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t70126)
SB (t218217)
Hero (t116192)
UTG (t33756)
UTG+1 (t37865)
MP1 (t89354)
MP2 (t77126)
CO (t100827)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t8338</font>, Hero ???
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Deep in 22R, AQ in the BB vs. huge SB stack

If you want a line that is easier to play then you could just push pf. Its +EV, however, probably not best.

I guess just call pf is fine. Use your position. If you whiff the flop you could just bluff-raise his c-bet. Better yet, since you are somewhat deep stacked, you may be able to call any c-bet and take it down on the turn with a bluff raise or bluff.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM

I think calling preflop is fine. It masks the strength of your hand and you are in position to float/take the pot down on the flop.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:59 AM

You have a monster in a BvB-battle, I see no other action than re-raising pre-flop. I'm calling if he shoves back after my re-raise. On the flop, if he bets a dry board, I come over the top, because I assume he can bet any two cards at this point. It often turns out to be a mind game, and not so much about what cards you hold and what the board reads. Being the aggressor, or the one who first puts the stack in the middle, is an advantage.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 AM

just call.. this will be a really fun hand to play in pos.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I call and it's rainbow flop that misses me and he leads with a 1/2PSB. What's my play? Raise to 25-30k and be done if he shoves?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm starting to like this line myself, but if Hero is uncomfortable in playing a missed flop, I'd rather raise it up pre-flop. More cash games has made me feel more comfy in these spots and it definitely helps a lot to have position here. I really think this situation requires different action for different players.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:42 AM

If he leads for half pot, I mix up:

1) Raising to 25K
2) Calling and seeing what he does on the turn.

What is the exact texture of the flop?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he leads for half pot, I mix up:

1) Raising to 25K
2) Calling and seeing what he does on the turn.

What is the exact texture of the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a hypothetical on what's mostly likely going to happen. 2/3rd of the time I'm going to miss the flop and usually it's going to be dry or semi-coordinated. A non-dry, highly coordinated flop I know what to do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I called, it was a horrible flop and I meekly folded wondering if I could have taken the pot away preflop. I got ground down by blinds with crap hands and lost it all on 33 later with an M of 4.

I looked back at that AQ hand as a potentially critical hand.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm starting to like this line myself, but if Hero is uncomfortable in playing a missed flop, I'd rather raise it up pre-flop. More cash games has made me feel more comfy in these spots and it definitely helps a lot to have position here. I really think this situation requires different action for different players.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a decent way of putting it, if Hero had a weaker ace, I'd advocate this, but with AcQc against a large stack that, given his pattern, may very well 4-bet with a weaker hand/make a play at the flop, I think that you miss out on a lot of value not 3-betting here. Playing small-ball is sexy time, but, what I'd like so much more is a 50K pot where he tries to represent something OOP (or, gives the hand up with a check OOP) rather than a 16K pot.

Also, you are deep, and deep in the tournament, so you want to play big pots with hands like these and engage in blind battles where you have position. If it were earlier, I may advocate small ball with AcQc, as you're chances of winning a big pot on a bluff are reduced.

Here: If I'm SB and I raise and BB calls me in this spot, with my stack, unless I hit, I'm really not that interested in betting if I missed at 16K. I just don't know what BB is up to. On the flop, for me, betting the pot with air just balloons the pot OOP. This isn't worth it for me at the moment. But, at 50K, I'm by far more interested in pulling some [censored] and putting a solid BB to the test (either 4-betting or pushing on the flop). Because, I know his range is bigger and me calling SB shows a lot of strength.

See, the thing is that a 50K pot, in this spot, kinduv gives SB the illusion of positional advantage if he so chooses to call and make a play at the flop. A 16K pot creates no such illusion. With AcQc in this spot, you want to risk that 25K for winning a pot that could be well over 100K.

Barry