Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Tournament ruling question

It is a common tournament rule (and part of the TDA rules) that if you are not at the table when the last card is dealt your hand is dead.

I assumed this was the rule at this location because tteh OP didn't indicate that it was an error.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

After the second card is dealt to the button, hands of players not at the table are killed. Any blinds they have are pulled in then.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not how they do it on line!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NL tournament, blinds are 25/50. The BB is away from the table this hand so after the dealer pitches the cards he kills the BB's hand. Action folds around to the SB who immediately mucks. What happens to the blind money?

[/ QUOTE ]

SB mucks quickly because he knows the money is his and he wants the absent player's SB in dead before he comes back?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:17 PM

The sb was the last person left with a live hand so he automatically won the pot before he mucked his hand.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sb was the last person left with a live hand so he automatically won the pot before he mucked his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really obvious BTW.

Do you really expect the SB to have to say "call" or "raise" when he is the only player who still has cards?

The pot is clearly his
Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT 100%.

He doesn't have to complete the bet, he already won!!! How do you complete a bet if the opponents hand is already dead?
Old 07-20-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you missed that BB had his hand killed before action began or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
as usual, you're just NITpicking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was a necessary nitpick, when AT asked, "What if the button only has 25?" If a hand got mucked, then a case could be made for the BB winning a side pot. If a hand got killed, then it can not win anything.

I've got close to 6000 posts, and haven't been accused of nitpicking too often, so I'm rather surprised that this accusation bore the words "as usual".

EDIT: Upon re-reading the entire thread, I now see the basis of our miscommunication. You thought the BB's cards should not be mucked until it was the BB's turn to act. As others have indicated, that is not in accordance with TDA rules, which kill the hands of walking players as soon as the button's second card is pitched.

You insist that your first post was a legit question. Since it had no question marks, it never occurred to me that you were asking anything. You seemed to be taking a position, one with which I disagreed, in a manner of degree.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:11 PM

So if BB is absent and SB has only his SB and no more...

My approach is button wins half the BB, SB wins the other half. Button is the last one with cards who's part of the side pot. SB is the last one with cards for the main. Basically it's the same thing that would happen if BB called, and then turbomucked thinking it was over and he'd won.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My only problem with this is that it doesn't seem right that SB can win 50 from BB when he only ever bet 25.

And the killing of BB's hand was correct. The rule at this tournament (like many others) is that the hand should be killed as soon as the last card is dealt to the button.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if BB is absent and SB has only his SB and no more...

My approach is button wins half the BB, SB wins the other half. Button is the last one with cards who's part of the side pot. SB is the last one with cards for the main. Basically it's the same thing that would happen if BB called, and then turbomucked thinking it was over and he'd won.

[/ QUOTE ]

The button can't win 25 if he doesn't put 25 in the pot. So, if everyone folds to the SB, who only has 25, then the SB wins 25 of the BB and the remaining 25 is returned to the BB. Now I'm not sure why the Button wouldn't call -- since he's freerolling now -- but if he doesn't, he can't win any of the BB.