Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Low limit tournament tips?

[ QUOTE ]
I didn’t understand how important this post was until this weekend.

I have worked up a bankroll on some home games, but it's only about $600. To play a $25 tournament I should have a $2500 bankroll. Should I use that BR and risk going broke, deposit $1100 more dollars from a separate savings account--and have to explain to my girlfriend Mason Malmuth's BR formula, variance. . . et cetera or just take out $25 from my checking account once a month?

I went to Pechanga on Sunday and I finally realized how important talking to my GF is. There were 285 entrants, my girlfriend was one of them. She likes the idea of playing tournaments because it limits her loss to just $25. She got knocked out after the first hour.

When we got down to the bubble three things happened that no book in the world could prepare me for.

1) Everyone started talking about chopping the $5700 prize pool.
2) My girlfriend kept telling me to play tight. Usually the wrong strategy at the bubble. Then I was thinking. . . well if I don’t make the money I can forget about negotiating any playing time.
3) $285 is more than a third of my current bankroll. This is why you need a bankroll. If you don't have $2500 for $25 tourney's this stuff can dictate your decisions.

On the button, just before the last break I received pocket pair of sixes. Everyone folded to me. The blinds were T3000-T6000. I should have at least called, or even raised to steal the blinds. I had a stack of about T17,000 and there was a guy at the other table with like two chips.

I folded, and what’s worse is I would have hit a set on 4th street. I totally would have gotten the free card to see it to (except I probably would have bet the flop)

Two chips and a chair got eliminated shortly after. 95% of the remaining players voted for a chop. I didn’t’ know that these things weren’t decided by majority rule. 19 yes and one NO from a guy with an M of 2 meant we didn’t get to chop.

So I drewtable 47 seat UTFG--don't ask what the F stands for. Blinds now T5000-T10,000. I look down and I have 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I ask what 20th place pays. He says $55. I figure I have first in Vig if I push and am a slight favorite against two overcards. What do I do?

Another thing . . . one of my girlfriend relative’s goes to the Bicycle Club and blows $10,000 playing $15-$30 Omaha eight or better. He doesn’t have a bankroll (he has a credit card).

My Gf thinks that If I play everyday, even for the smallest limits I’m going to end up like him. Maybe this is a post for the psychology forum instead. But what’s the difference between someone who has a passion for poker, reads all the books, plays limits he can afford and a reckless gambling addict?

--Marc

[/ QUOTE ]

20 way chop??? Wow, this structure must really suck, I know it's a $25 buy-in, but still...

Ok, if your girlfriend is uncomfortable with you gambling, and you want to continue to do it, HAVE A SEPERATE BANKROLL. As long as your poker money isn't coming out of living money, and she knows that, you should be OK. Also, if playing poker is more valuable to you than spending time with her, maybe you need to consider the importance of this relationship.

I like poker... a lot. I also have been dating my girlfriend for over 3 years now. I have been playing lots of poker, but I never leave early to go home and play or skip dates for tournaments, etc. You should be able to play poke ron your own time, just ask yourself what is more important (hint: human relationships are generally more important than flashing buttons online)
Old 07-23-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My Gf thinks that If I play everyday, even for the smallest limits I’m going to end up like him. Maybe this is a post for the psychology forum instead. But what’s the difference between someone who has a passion for poker, reads all the books, plays limits he can afford and a [bold]reckless gambling addict?[/bold]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the bolded description says it all. There is a difference between a reckless gambler and someone who works at improving his skills in a skill game and practices good bankroll management. It doesn't matter that the gambler is "playing" the same game.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn’t understand how important this post was until this weekend.

I have worked up a bankroll on some home games, but it's only about $600. To play a $25 tournament I should have a $2500 bankroll. Should I use that BR and risk going broke, deposit $1100 more dollars from a separate savings account--and have to explain to my girlfriend Mason Malmuth's BR formula, variance. . . et cetera or just take out $25 from my checking account once a month?

I went to Pechanga on Sunday and I finally realized how important talking to my GF is. There were 285 entrants, my girlfriend was one of them. She likes the idea of playing tournaments because it limits her loss to just $25. She got knocked out after the first hour.

When we got down to the bubble three things happened that no book in the world could prepare me for.

1) Everyone started talking about chopping the $5700 prize pool.
2) My girlfriend kept telling me to play tight. Usually the wrong strategy at the bubble. Then I was thinking. . . well if I don’t make the money I can forget about negotiating any playing time.
3) $285 is more than a third of my current bankroll. This is why you need a bankroll. If you don't have $2500 for $25 tourney's this stuff can dictate your decisions.

On the button, just before the last break I received pocket pair of sixes. Everyone folded to me. The blinds were T3000-T6000. I should have at least called, or even raised to steal the blinds. I had a stack of about T17,000 and there was a guy at the other table with like two chips.

I folded, and what’s worse is I would have hit a set on 4th street. I totally would have gotten the free card to see it to (except I probably would have bet the flop)

Two chips and a chair got eliminated shortly after. 95% of the remaining players voted for a chop. I didn’t’ know that these things weren’t decided by majority rule. 19 yes and one NO from a guy with an M of 2 meant we didn’t get to chop.

So I drewtable 47 seat UTFG--don't ask what the F stands for. Blinds now T5000-T10,000. I look down and I have 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I ask what 20th place pays. He says $55. I figure I have first in Vig if I push and am a slight favorite against two overcards. What do I do?

Another thing . . . one of my girlfriend relative’s goes to the Bicycle Club and blows $10,000 playing $15-$30 Omaha eight or better. He doesn’t have a bankroll (he has a credit card).

My Gf thinks that If I play everyday, even for the smallest limits I’m going to end up like him. Maybe this is a post for the psychology forum instead. But what’s the difference between someone who has a passion for poker, reads all the books, plays limits he can afford and a reckless gambling addict?

--Marc

[/ QUOTE ]

Shove the 66 hand PLZ!

Live players are generally too tight. Especially on the bubble. See some of Bond's WSOP trip reports (the one's where he actually cashes). He is ridiculously abusive on the bubble.

BTW, on the 66 hand, seriously, anything but shoving is just awful. Blinds are 3K/6K and you have 17K! That means winning the post moves you to 26K (not including antes). That is a huge increase in your stack!

As for the GF thing, I've had the same girlfriend for 3 years (getting married in Sept.). I do a few things:

1) Have a separate bankroll.
2) Cashed it out once to buy an engangement ring.
3) Don't sacrifice time with her to play poker. Many times that means I spend time with her when I would rather play poker.
4) Negotiate for time to play poker. And not like a business negotiation. Like a person-to-person talk about when it is okay to play.

I dunno. It works for me. Sound great to me that your GF actually plays poker. My fiance doesn't.