Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Low limit tournament tips?

Hey everyone I've read the FAQ's and everything Greg Raymer posted some really cool stuff about MTT's and that's great. . . but I'm not going to be playing John Juanda any time soon. My girlfriend gets mad if i win or loose a couple bucks on the internet playing $.01-$.02 on the internet, but she said she doesn't mind if I play a $25 tournament in Temecula once a month. There are no rebuys. I'm not even going to worry about bankroll management because I quit smoking a year ago and i can play this tournament ever week and still pay less than cigarettes cost me.

I've read all the HOH books, and my score on HOH volume 3 was only 309. I think a lot of that stems from my love of C-betting. Does anyone know of some good posts on these small stake no limit tournaments?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Low limit tournament tips?

post pics of gf
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
post pics of gf

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

To the OP,

If you haven't already, I'd recommend a few more readings from the anthology. Some of my favorites include:

1) eMarkM thread
2) Woodguy's thread about not passing small edges
3) Anything that MLG writes

Also, for small stakes tournies, Shaundeeb's x/180 guide is good in general...not just for x/180s.

Lastly, the general consensus is that live player's are too tight.

Oh, and if you are going to Temecula, pick me up obv.

Sherman
Old 07-18-2007, 01:51 PM

Schneider's Poker Tournament Formula for small-stakes live tourneys ftw.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Snyder's Poker Tournament Formula for small-stakes live tourneys ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

And this book doesn't get much praise around here.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Snyder's Poker Tournament Formula for small-stakes live tourneys ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

And this book doesn't get much praise around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the correction. Well, he is the enemy, but it did wonders for my live game - I am older, so more of a book learner than the rest of you young upstarts. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I killed Vegas tourneys my last trip (2 1sts and a 3rd out of 7).
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM

If you don't establish a BR, you are going to have a very tough time becoming a better player. Also, if you don't iron things out with your GF and establish some set time to play poker / learn the game, you are going to have a very difficult time with poker in general.

Barry
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't establish a BR, you are going to have a very tough time becoming a better player. Also, if you don't iron things out with your GF and establish some set time to play poker / learn the game, you are going to have a very difficult time with poker in general.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

This is some great advice here. My g/f came home for the summer at the end of June. She is starting school in mid-August, so she wants to spend alot of time with me. We went on vacation to California and now we are home, and I'm spending pretty much everyday with her, or working. I have gone from about 2-3 tournaments a night, to maybe 2 a week. I want to play so bad, and I feel like I'm getting out of touch with the game. Every chance I get, I'm on 2+2 and reading, or on PXF and watching the videos. My g/f kind of gets upset if I tell her I'm going home for the night to play poker. She likes to play home game poker with her family, but that doesn't happen often. She doesn't play on the internet.

Definitely talk to your g/f about setting up some time to play. Use that time wisely.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:07 PM

Snyder's book is controversial here. It gets plenty of love and plenty of hate. Read it and decide for yourself.

I know you asked about posts. Instead I'll recommend another book. The Full Tilt Strategy Guide: Tournament Edition (I believe that's the correct name). Sure it was written by big name pros, but there is lots of good stuff here regardless. It isn't just good in 10k buy-ins.

But the reply you should pay the most attention to is Barry's. If you want to get good at poker then you've got to work it out with the gf. I'm lucky that my gf is a poker player too. If she wasn't I'd probably have to get a new gf.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:27 AM

I didn’t understand how important this post was until this weekend.

I have worked up a bankroll on some home games, but it's only about $600. To play a $25 tournament I should have a $2500 bankroll. Should I use that BR and risk going broke, deposit $1100 more dollars from a separate savings account--and have to explain to my girlfriend Mason Malmuth's BR formula, variance. . . et cetera or just take out $25 from my checking account once a month?

I went to Pechanga on Sunday and I finally realized how important talking to my GF is. There were 285 entrants, my girlfriend was one of them. She likes the idea of playing tournaments because it limits her loss to just $25. She got knocked out after the first hour.

When we got down to the bubble three things happened that no book in the world could prepare me for.

1) Everyone started talking about chopping the $5700 prize pool.
2) My girlfriend kept telling me to play tight. Usually the wrong strategy at the bubble. Then I was thinking. . . well if I don’t make the money I can forget about negotiating any playing time.
3) $285 is more than a third of my current bankroll. This is why you need a bankroll. If you don't have $2500 for $25 tourney's this stuff can dictate your decisions.

On the button, just before the last break I received pocket pair of sixes. Everyone folded to me. The blinds were T3000-T6000. I should have at least called, or even raised to steal the blinds. I had a stack of about T17,000 and there was a guy at the other table with like two chips.

I folded, and what’s worse is I would have hit a set on 4th street. I totally would have gotten the free card to see it to (except I probably would have bet the flop)

Two chips and a chair got eliminated shortly after. 95% of the remaining players voted for a chop. I didn’t’ know that these things weren’t decided by majority rule. 19 yes and one NO from a guy with an M of 2 meant we didn’t get to chop.

So I drewtable 47 seat UTFG--don't ask what the F stands for. Blinds now T5000-T10,000. I look down and I have 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I ask what 20th place pays. He says $55. I figure I have first in Vig if I push and am a slight favorite against two overcards. What do I do?

Another thing . . . one of my girlfriend relative’s goes to the Bicycle Club and blows $10,000 playing $15-$30 Omaha eight or better. He doesn’t have a bankroll (he has a credit card).

My Gf thinks that If I play everyday, even for the smallest limits I’m going to end up like him. Maybe this is a post for the psychology forum instead. But what’s the difference between someone who has a passion for poker, reads all the books, plays limits he can afford and a reckless gambling addict?

--Marc