Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 PM

Default Re: is it possable to win at limit holdem?

they all seem to take 5% so does it matter about the rake?
i'ved down to $0.05/$0.10 and seem to be doing a bit better but thats only cos it's so lose, thats at party poker any more recomended sites for limits as low as that. (need me shirt for work!)
uDevil (have replied but it got lost sorry)
yes live, and tiny stakes. i've got the tight bit right (ish) found out being agressive is a good idea!
found it hard to translate from 'book' poker to actual playing.
i must inherently be a bad player, this game (hold'em) seems far vaster and more to it than i ever imagined, which is good.
nope dont mind losing to another player, a bit like chess, so long as it was a good game. naturally the intention it to make a profit. i'm sort of saying theres no hard feeling if i lose. something like that.
cheers guys
chris
Old 07-21-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5% should be easily beatable in a good game (meaning that there are at least a few bad players at the table that you have a big edge over).

[ QUOTE ]

i'ved down to $0.05/$0.10 and seem to be doing a bit better but thats only cos it's so lose, thats at party poker any more recomended sites for limits as low as that. (need me shirt for work!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Loose is good. PokerStars has limit games down to $.02/.04 and it's generally a good site. You can find reviews of different sites at http://www.bonuswhores.com

[ QUOTE ]

yes live, and tiny stakes. i've got the tight bit right (ish) found out being agressive is a good idea!
found it hard to translate from 'book' poker to actual playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Adjusting to the circumstances of your specific game is important but not always easy. You might want to read Ed Miller's posts in this thread on another site.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your OP made it sound like you were playing B&M games, which generally charge a much higher rake.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:08 PM

OP? B&M dont know playing limit holdem, tho most well all people i know who play well seem to prefer NL or Pot limit, ? i dont know i'm off to master limit, thats taking me enough doing, will check out your site uDevil (as in profile)
question
on party poker if you look at the last hand it sometimes says 'him35234 doesn't show [4s,5s]' etc.
Is that that it doesn't show when playing but Does show on the email/game text?
As i try to keep notes on who's played with what hand, and that makes it easier.
uDevil i'm gonna stay with the low limit sites now, as after moing back 'down' i'm breaking even, still a beginner here, thougth it was going to be far easier that this but there seems to be endless depths to this poker.
cheers all for replies
Old 07-22-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Programs

You write them programs uDevil?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Programs

[ QUOTE ]
You write them programs uDevil?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, you mean the ones on this page?

http://www.cc.utah.edu/~lra21170/upoker.htm

Yeah. I have big plans to update them but I'm pretty lazy. Also, I'm not a good programmer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP means "original post," referring to the first post in a thread, or "original poster," referring to the person who started the thread.

[ QUOTE ]

question
on party poker if you look at the last hand it sometimes says 'him35234 doesn't show [4s,5s]' etc.
Is that that it doesn't show when playing but Does show on the email/game text?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. Isn't there a way to get a quick look at the hand history from the last hand on Party? It's been a while since I played there so I don't remember, but most sites have that feature.

[ QUOTE ]
As i try to keep notes on who's played with what hand, and that makes it easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You should probably know that there are programs that will display folded hands that went to showdown on the table as you play. PokerTracker and PokerAce are two programs that work together to do this. You can find out more at http://www.pokertracker.com There is a trial version you can download if you want to try it, but it's kind of a pain for beginners and you can certainly get by without it for now.

[ QUOTE ]
Devil i'm gonna stay with the low limit sites now, as after moing back 'down' i'm breaking even, still a beginner here, thougth it was going to be far easier that this but there seems to be endless depths to this poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good plan.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:03 AM

yes, tho sure you know, party poker click on last hand, top left and it pops up the hands you've played with the option of displaying preious hands you've played and the option of having it emailed to you.

Yes them programs, programming in Java (to me anyway) is no mean feat, doing stuff in html/javascript is dead easy in comparison, brill stuff.
mine are java etc. but all astrology tarot subject (in profile i think) but like you they get put there and i very rarely touch em, think i've lost the source code anyway, (sos if this is off topic)
chris
yip brill programs.