Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Location: I can\'t walk through the park cause it\'s crazy after dark...
Default Re: Top pair plus flush draw...

Let me just clarify what I know about the villian.
When I said he was solid I meant I have checked his OPR and he is a winner which gained my automatic respect...
I had played another tourney with him a couple of weeks ago and was at his table for a couple of orbits late on.
I didn't learn much as he had a smallish stack

I don't know if he is tight or loose, or tricky or straightforward...
what I meant by solid was that he has a positve ROI and therefore one can assume he knows what he is doing...
Old 07-20-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As others have said, checking behind turn is probably better. However, personally, I'd stuff the odds. If I've bet this much on the turn, I'm not folding early in a $11 buyin. Which is to say that if I make a near psb on the turn it's because the rest is going in whatever he does. We sometimes have the best hand, we've always got outs against any holding and if he's two paired, we've got chop outs or outs to win when the board pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said. That's a really good point - if you are pot size betting the turn with this hand, you're not doing it in hope for a passive call, as the only hand that MAY call passively here is another flush draw, and that's really not all that likely. You have to PSB with a plan - this is probably the best advice given, call may very well be better than a fold given how you played it.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:16 PM

If villain had an A, and if he is solid he is raising your flop bet. The same would apply if he had 75. With a set, he may check/call the flop but I'm certain he would have led the turn betting. As well, if he held 33, I highly doubt he would check the turn unless he was almost 100% sure you were going to bet.

I think he is putting you on a medium A or perhaps a PP like 99. That 3 on the turn couldn't have helped him other than possibly give him a gutshot. At this point, I believe he would make this move with a variety of low hands like: Kc2c, 4c3c, 66, 88, JcTc, 76, 65, 54.

Some of those hands he is drawing dead. There is no possible hand he could have where you are drawing dead. I would call this.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM

You have to fold, and you should have taken the free card.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 PM

What range makes this a fold?

I think any ace might shove here, either because they were waiting for a blank, or because hero hasn't slowed down and they figure they might fold out a slightly better one, or because they've got a gutshot+TP, or because they have an ace (weeeeeeee).

Other stuff then has to go into the range, like FDs, gutshots, OESD.

And, of course, sets, two pair.

Against a random, the range is wide and we can weight in any way we want. However, as far as I'm concerned, with let's say a 25% chance we have the best hand already, any club definitely giving us the best hand, and the possibility that 8s, 7s and 5s will split or give us the pot, I think we get our chips in.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:29 PM

This is the one thing that scares the crap out of me. When someone calls a flop then pops the turn. This usually represents a very strong hand. Strong enough often enough where I think this is a fold. Not sure.

BTW, I like checking flop. W/O the flush draw I may lead turn.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the one thing that scares the crap out of me. When someone calls a flop then pops the turn. This usually represents a very strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly why a semi-bluff here is so effective by a player who knows what he is doing. And look at the line, folded to Button who raises and BB calls. The range just to start this hand is pretty wide. Button bets the flop, just a normal cbet. The chances are just as good or better that button doesn't have an ace. Float call by BB.

The bet on the turn by button is questionable. However, in this case, I believe it induced a semi-bluff all-in checkraise which normally could only get called be a very strong hand. I imagine BB thinks button might have an ace or a flush draw but I'll wager he doesn't suspect button has both.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM

Location: I can\'t walk through the park cause it\'s crazy after dark...

Ok, thanks everyone for posting...
I agree that I should of checked the turn, and regretted it as soon as he shoved...

I'm getting 2-1 nearly to call so I have to be good or improve at least 33% of the time by the river...

I put his most likely holdings as a set 55 or 77, and I reckon he thought I had a strong Ace or a flush draw and was looking for value...
I don't think he's bluffing here too often..

Anyway I folded so I never got find out!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 PM

I like checking behind the turn and betting the river when checked to unimproved, calling a lot unimproved and obviously raising a river bet if you improve. I think it's almost impossible to get 3 streets of value with you A8 anyway.

Betting can get value from a smaller flush draw on the turn that it couldn't get on the river, but if that's your goal you bet too much on the turn. If you're betting the turn DEFINITELY don't price out worse draws.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:04 PM

You still have 80 blinds left at Level 2 of this tournament. Find a better spot to put all your chips in.