Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: I think I know what i did wrong here...comments

Well one thing was right here - your read on the villain. You were pretty sure that he had Ace-x. What you didn't consider here are the number of cards that could be combined with that ace to make his hand and the fact that the majority of possible combinations include a kicker higher than a 6. There are a lot more cards out there higher than a 6 than there are lower ones.

Sure you could try and bluff him off the pot but when you're going to do that you need to have some evidence that this player is capable of folding a hand like A-9 in this spot. Simply sticking your chips out there is not always enough to win because some people are just incapable of folding second best hands. They don't consider what their opponent is holding and only concern themselves with the cards in their own hands. That's exactly what I feel your problem was in this hand.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:48 PM

People at low buy in tourneys CAN NOT fold top pair when its an ace. Even if the boards is AKQJ2. THey just can't. You will never be able to get them to lay it down.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People at low buy in tourneys CAN NOT fold top pair when its an ace. Even if the boards is AKQJ2. THey just can't. You will never be able to get them to lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a disease restricted to low buy-ins, but, yes, it's commonplace there. Maybe, just maybe you don't get involved with ace-rag? I find myself mucking it a lot preflop now just because of the decisions/uncertainity involved with the hand postflop.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, just maybe you don't get involved with ace-rag? I find myself mucking it a lot preflop now

[/ QUOTE ]

Mucking ace-rag should be standard in the early stages. (Unless you are LAGging it up like I tend to do, in which case you might open raise it, along with assorted other bullcrap.)