Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Straight against TAG, deep stacks (interesting)

[ QUOTE ]
pf is not standard, cause u play weak hand oop with TAG who raises CO with not so good hands, so if u do hit most of the time he won't pay u off

i think ur flop line is fine

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. We can call J9s more easily against an UTG raiser or someone who doesn't loosen up too much from LP. Then we've got the implied odds to hit a big flop.

Against someone who could be raising from the CO with crap, we don't have the implied odds. We will usually be missing the flop and will only win a c-bet most times we do hit one big.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Straight against TAG, deep stacks (interesting)

[ QUOTE ]
Correct. We can call J9s more easily against an UTG raiser or someone who doesn't loosen up too much from LP. Then we've got the implied odds to hit a big flop.

Against someone who could be raising from the CO with crap, we don't have the implied odds. We will usually be missing the flop and will only win a c-bet most times we do hit one big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to get into a big preflop discussion here, butI rather believe that the predictability of the postflop play should be the main criterion for calling raises, and not necessarily the preflop range.
What I mean is: Sure against a rather wide pfr range, you cant extract as much value on the J9X flops etc... so your implied odds are lower. However against a wider range, the J9 will be the best hand more often if you get J toppair or even 9 middle pair... Against a tricky aggressive player this doesnt matter, because he will never let you see an easy showdown. Also semibluffing draws will not work as well against tricky unpredictable opponents.

But as long as the postflop play is somewhat predictable, I think calling J9s is fine against either a tight range or a loose range. I could be wrong though.