Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Collin Moshman, tell us who you are

I think there may be a little Goggles thrown in as well.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:09 PM

im sure a lot of you have already seen this thread but i searched for it to find out about this dispute and i think it addresses all the key issues:

1) he won't give out sharkscope results because it will give up some of his edge 2) he contacted 2+2 not the other way around and 3) there is a picture of him lifting a fire hydrant so all of you talking smack better watch your back because there may be a fire hydrant headed for it.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM

If by "addresses all of the issues" you mean "addresses none of the issues", then I'm right with you.

Why would him contacting 2p2 be a good thing? And why on earth would they take him up on it without doing some basic fact-checking and groundwork over here in STTF? Can he have someone trusted like Mason check his Sharkscope and confirm he's a winning player of a lot of "$215 and beyond" type SNGs? Jesus. This reeks.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am Collin Moshman

McSpartacus

[/ QUOTE ]

Coach me
Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 PM

Ok old party guys:

"With that said, I will out myself on the old Party as having played under BigPairPushr, jim2718, and bob2718 (consecutively, not concurrently). "

Someone talk to me, get your best people on it. Was this guy crushing the $215s?

From poker prohecy:

Player BigPairPushr
Games played 30
Wins 9 (30%)
Losses 21 (70%)
Average Buy-In $200
Players with better winning percentage 696985

Player jim2718
Games played 333
Wins 110 (33.03%)
Losses 223 (66.97%)
Average Buy-In $191.43
Players with better winning percentage 604689
Players with worse winning percentage 728779
$200 Table: 107 wins / 208 losses / 33.97% wins
$55 Table: 2 wins / 5 losses / 28.57% wins
$50 Table: 1 wins / 4 losses / 20% wins
$30 Table: 0 wins / 1 losses / 0% wins
$22 Table: 0 wins / 1 losses / 0% wins
$20 Table: 0 wins / 2 losses / 0% wins
$10 Table: 0 wins / 2 losses / 0% wins

Player bob2718
Games played 778
Wins 342 (43.96%)
Losses 436 (56.04%)
Average Buy-In $155.02
Players with better winning percentage 231780
Players with worse winning percentage 1101688
$530 Table: 20 wins / 30 losses / 40% wins
$215 Table: 120 wins / 160 losses / 42.86% wins
$109 Table: 64 wins / 74 losses / 46.38% wins
$77 Table: 47 wins / 62 losses / 43.12% wins
$55 Table: 88 wins / 95 losses / 48.09% wins
$33 Table: 0 wins / 4 losses / 0% wins
$22 Table: 3 wins / 8 losses / 27.27% wins
$11 Table: 0 wins / 2 losses / 0% wins
$6 Table: 0 wins / 1 losses / 0% wins

Players with worse winning percentage 636483
$200 Table: 9 wins / 21 losses / 30% wins

Old 07-11-2007, 10:28 PM

well it seems like he kept saying he encourages other sttf people to write a book as well, they just picked his because he 'got to them with a manuscript first' and mason liked it. so its not like theyre passing any of you guys over, everyone would benefit if the stt gurus here got together and gave mason a manuscript as well. i already said i'd be the first to pre order it!

and the sharkscope/results idea seemed to be what everyone was looking for, i think he already addressed that he doesnt want to give it away for his own strategic reasons or whatever. i guess at the higher levels people can see what you wrote and use it against you and he doesnt want that.

i dont really know what the issue is then, i thought it was like sttf was kind of surprised that a book from 2+2 was being written without consulting the top level pros here who dominate the high level sngs. well its his book so they dont want to make him change it to suit everyone.

and then also we wanted to know about the sharkscope etc but he wont tell his name. maybe he could give a poker tracker screen shot with the name blacked out but maybe you guys could find out who that is by the numbers or something.

EDIT: i don't really know the situation too well but i think the best solution would be having all the stt people who would have liked to review it, to write their own and let us all benefit from both books!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 PM

The issue is he apparently only maybe 2k sngs under his belt, possibly no more than 300 SNGs at $200 BI or higher. By his own admission his sharkscope sample size is small, so he can't have that many games since PP died. This is hardly enough to claim to be any kind of SNG master, or read a lot into his winrate, other than he doesn't suck.

I'm sure the book is well written, but Mason doesn't know good SNG strategy from mediocre SNG strategy. There are a couple dozen posters on this forum at least who would have been happy to proof for him. Then again if the only requirement is to sell books, maybe accuracy isn't that important.

Doesn't bother me to be honest. A book coming out by curtains or gramps would depress the hell out of me.

LOL at his coaching rates, > $500 buyin, "extra fees may apply". For those 50ish $500 SNGs he's played in.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:45 PM

flopton,

1) efforts were put forth to write a SNG book some time ago by Citanul, if I remember correctly. He was told they weren't looking for a STT book. Among other reasons, I find it laughable that such an accomplished mod/poster/SNGer was rejected when a virtual unknown came along a time later to get his book published. This adds to the ambiguity of the current book and situation.

2) I find it quite interesting that the review methods for quality of books is not only virtually unknown, but quite arbitrary. Sklansky, Malmuth and the gang do not play SNGs on a regular basis and certainly do not know proper SNG strategy. So who was the one who said this was a good book? I can't say that Collin doesnt know what hes talking about, in all liklihood he has at LEAST some idea, but where does it leave us when an unknown comes out with a book over other known STT pros and there was no one to even confirm that it was *actually* worthy of publishing beyond whatever Sklansky/Malmuth said that they thought looked good? So far the situation just doesn't hold much ground given the *only* information we have.

3) I don't know about everyone else, but I dont necessarily need Collin's statistics to immediately believe this book is or is not a good one on SNG strategy. What I do need, is some evidence that the decisions he makes as well as advice he gives has merit to it. We have not seen either of the above, again, leaving us with nothing but ambiguity, skepticism and a bunch of unknowns on a topic that has a bad track record for publishings.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only requirement is to sell books

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2007, 11:08 PM

My feeling is that the STTF reaction is essentially the same as if a non-NASCAR driver published a book on how to race stock cars.

I will wait for Slim's review to the book before I buy it. Realistically, if it's fundamentally flawed it will be great for business.
Closed Thread