Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Scariest player to ever win the WSOP?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I did not lip him in the game. Moss was in that game, too. So was "Jesse," a tall, thin, saturnine looking man that I still see around from time to time. But I never learned his last name. I may post more about this over in EDF, as it relates to another recent post I made about my own degeneracy over there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesse Alto?

Made a bunch of ME FTs but couldn't bring the title home. Prob dead now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I saw this particular Jesse at this year's WSOP, hanging about the players' association booth at the end of the hall towards the hot, smelly tent.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gentleman you are referring to is Jesse Jones, a throat cancer survivor and a founder of the Poker Player's Association (or something like that). He has been around for a long time and is well respected by most of the long time pros. He's about 6-5 and looks to be under 200 lbs. The throat cancer scars are very apparent and he has to speak very softly.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Scariest player to ever get 4th: Bobby Brazil, 1973.

Thought he looked like a really sleazy character on the WSOP 1973 Main Event video, so I did a little research to see if he was still around etc. Turns out he was in jail until early 1990s, due to kidnapping, repeatedly raping and then murdering a young girl.

He's now dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a bad, bad man. I recall playing limit hold 'em with him in the early nineties at the Horseshoe. Rumour had it that he was convicted of a heinous felony at the trial court level but he managed to get his conviction flipped on appeal.

I did not lip him in the game. Moss was in that game, too. So was "Jesse," a tall, thin, saturnine looking man that I still see around from time to time. But I never learned his last name. I may post more about this over in EDF, as it relates to another recent post I made about my own degeneracy over there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brazil was one of the 'Whiz Kids' in the '70's along with Stuie, Baldwin (who quickly distanced himself), Joey Hawthorne and Crazy Kid, Richard Schwartz. Don't remember the 'heinous crime' part, but Brazil was in and out of rehabs, finally got straight and then won an insurance claim and got a 'Hot Shot' from his friend and some Ho's and OD'd in a room at the Horseshoe in 2000. He was scary in a psycho kind of way, but not really violent except to slap a woman around from time to time. Brunson and the boys used to put him in action all the time, and/or take a piece of him when they could get him down off the ceiling.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Scariest player to ever get 4th: Bobby Brazil, 1973.

Thought he looked like a really sleazy character on the WSOP 1973 Main Event video, so I did a little research to see if he was still around etc. Turns out he was in jail until early 1990s, due to kidnapping, repeatedly raping and then murdering a young girl.

He's now dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a bad, bad man. I recall playing limit hold 'em with him in the early nineties at the Horseshoe. Rumour had it that he was convicted of a heinous felony at the trial court level but he managed to get his conviction flipped on appeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brazil was one of the 'Whiz Kids' in the '70's along with Stuie, Baldwin (who quickly distanced himself), Joey Hawthorne and Crazy Kid, Richard Schwartz. Don't remember the 'heinous crime' part, but Brazil was in and out of rehabs, finally got straight and then won an insurance claim and got a 'Hot Shot' from his friend and some Ho's and OD'd in a room at the Horseshoe in 2000. He was scary in a psycho kind of way, but not really violent except to slap a woman around from time to time. Brunson and the boys used to put him in action all the time, and/or take a piece of him when they could get him down off the ceiling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually,... think it was 1999, and, oh yah... Spilotro used to put him in at the Stardust in the day and Brazil's ex-wife, Dianna, was the Payout Manager at the 2006 WSOP. That is all.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:56 PM

i think stu ungar looked kinda scary when he won the main event in '97.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Prestooo" - also gay

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the hand name for pocket 5s....what's so gay about that?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Johnny Moss was the only scary one I can think of. He was old-school, carried barking iron, and was known as someone who could and would protect himself. He played poker with a pistol in his pocket in Texas and threw down on suspected cheaters a few times. He shot one guy but didn't know how severe it got. I heard he also carried a pistol in Las Vegas. Benny Binion, who founded the series, was the most feared gambling kingpin in Texas before he went to Las Vegas. He killed two men that we know of. He reportedly tried to have Herbert "Cat" Noble many times before there was a success. They bombed his house, car, and airplane and finally his mailbox. People did not act tough around Binion's Horseshoe.