Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Re: GF wants to move in...

pistolero,

42. After my first live-in experience went south, I said never again. Then, I did it again, that one went south also. Now, I'm happily married. We did not live together before the wedding.

Glad to be of help. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2006, 11:28 AM

6 months and she wants to move in? No. I also don't think that people should live together before getting married, so I'm already biased against it. But 1 year with 6 months of being "serious"? Warning flag.

I'm OLD.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:59 AM

You've been dating for a year.. last 6 month seriously. She stays over 2-3 times a week as it is. I'd say let her move in. I think it wouldn't even be an issue if you didn't already have a serious relationship go bad. It sounds like it'd be more convenient for the both of you. Even though I don't think economics is too important.. it's more expensive to maintain two dwellings... and if you make 2x as much as her - you pay 2x as much in rent. You both win.

The biggest concern is freedom. I'm having a little issue with my fiancee regarding this, but open communication, setting boundaries, and expressing your need to have your own time are all things you can work out. If you address this as a concern before she moves in... it should be smooth sailing.

My fiancee and I moved in after about a year of dating.. and we've been together over 4 years. It's good.

-29 years old.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:35 PM

I think a year is long enough to know each other well enough to move in together. I think your hesitancy is telling. You probably should not move in together. I'm 29 (and always will be [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 22.
Before she moves in have her stay over pretty well every night for a few weeks. Tell her to bring some of her stuff but not actually move in. That way you can see how everything feels and make sure you don't have any left over feelings about the previous situation. Also make sure she knows what you are doing and why. I wouldn't mention the financial thing but wait and see if she seems to be enjoying your hospitality too much. If she is then bring it up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm 31...if I would have been this level headed at 22 I wouldn't have been engaged 4 times before being 22. This is a great idea but I would say to her lets try it out but I get a veto if this arrangement isn't working out.

Here is how my ventures worked out in every case.
1) Relationship starts (cool)
2) They move in/I pop question (seems like natural relationship progression)
3) I get real sick of them real fast (lots of crying/fighting)
4) I kick them out (more crying)
5) They show up at my door wearing a trench coat and lingerie underneath (who denies a bootie call)
6) I am a sucker for that I take em back
7) I get sick of em and throw em out one last time
8) Bootie call don't work anymore

Most of the times I ran into controlling women which I couldn't handle. Fifth times a charm and I have exactly what I need (for the last 9 years anyways). So learn from my mistakes...I know I did at great expense.