Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: What is the proper line when flopping a monster?

I slowplay when I flop the nuts. It's more fun, and it's not like it's going to come back to haunt me. Plus, it gives someone the chance to stab at the pot.

Of course it sucks to flop a straight flush and have no one have anything, but eh...not much you can do.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, it doesn't really make much of a difference how you play your flopped straight flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

these hands happen so infrequently that it really doesn't matter how you play it, just try to get as many bets in as you can, and if they all fold then so be it
Old 03-02-2006, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I slowplay when I flop the nuts. It's more fun, and it's not like it's going to come back to haunt me. Plus, it gives someone the chance to stab at the pot.

Of course it sucks to flop a straight flush and have no one have anything, but eh...not much you can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

You slowplay when you flop the nuts. This is really poor strategy if your post is as exactly you describe.

See, if everytime I made this kind of a post I decided to be a dick and make the person ask "Why is that wrong" I'd be pretty predictable, and not help someone to the maximum extent possible.

If you mean the pure nuts, this is still wrong since you may be leaving a lot of money on the table against people who won't bet for you, but will call your bets.

If you mean "the nuts" as in the best hand possible right now, you are giving away many free cards and the chance someone can out draw you for nothing, when instead you could be extracting value.

Loose Passives will often be of the mindset where they will see a turn with almost no chance of winning since it is cheap. They'll see a one card gut shot, Back Door draw with an overcard, a backdoor straight flush draw, etc.

When this doesn't improve they'll simply fold the turn. By always slowplaying you are missing these important bets, as well as the chance to disguise your hand. Fast playing is the new slowplaying. When you check raise that turn, you give away your hand in an instant. By betting the flop, you often confuse your opponents when they improve a little on the turn. They assume you couldn't possibly have the nuts, since who bets the nuts on the flop!

Only an idiot would do that!

There are of course times when it is proper to slowplay. But, they do not occur as often as most people think.