Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Taking gambles

you say they call with anything then you shove with little f/e at 25-50 blinds! with k10 off, well played
Old 06-22-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you say they call with anything then you shove with little f/e at 25-50 blinds! with k10 off, well played

[/ QUOTE ]

crikey, no need for the sarcastic insults, were all here to learn man and people making schnidey remarks just isnt constructive. If you think someones made a mistake explain it, discuss it, suggest an alternative. Am not just talking about this thread or post btw, just noticed in general lately a lack of camaraderie and constructive criticism, and a lot of "im better than you" esque fun poking. Puts you off posting man.

Anyway back OT, I doubt your ever going to show a profit with this play in this situation mate, but i can understand your reasoning to a certain extent. If its a donkfest, and we drop everyone but the OR who turns over 99, its a genius play. But the fact is that this particular scenario isnt going to play out like that, for the reasons already mentioned. Ill add aswell that if you were UTG your fold equity might be that much more as to give us a chance, but I just cant see what the tables gonna put you on, limping in MP1 and then shoving like you have some kind of monster, it just doesnt seem to add up to me.
Matt
Old 06-22-2007, 05:43 PM

Well I can make the distinction between calling a raise and calling a shove for all my chips. But thanks for your response, it was well thought out, I can tell you'll go far in life. Your mom must of taught you well on how to make yourself feel better by belitting others.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 PM

Yeah, I would be fine with a coin flip here because of the dead $$. I guess the play itself turns out to be pretty transparent in that nobody is going to believe I limped raised with a great hand from MP. As it turns out MP3 called me with AJ and I win. So in retrospect the push was marginal but o.k. I think. So a few hands later this happens:

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t3510
UTG+1: t1940
MP1: t1210
MP2: t2890
MP3: t1756
CO: t1870
Button: t1560
SB: t3420
Hero: t3350

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to t200</font>, 2 folds, CO calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t275)</font>, Button calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t475)</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in t3350</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 calls all-in t1010</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO calls all-in t1670</font>, Button folds.
Uncalled bets: t1480 returned to Hero.

This time I am in the BB, the initial raiser was on tilt and was horrible. He could have anything. Again, 2 cold callers which I thought neither would have a big hand here and with this big of a pot, and me having everyone covered, I would gladly accept a coin flip so I tried it again! The first hand may be a bit marginal as we discussed. I admit trying this so soon afterward may seem fishy after showing down the KT. But in isolation I think this play could be good given my read on the raiser and having everyone involved covered. I expected the tilter to call, but his range was wide enough along with the dead money to make it worth it imo. I did not expect the CO to call though. He should have enough chips to fold here most of the time but then again I could be wrong on that. You think it was because of the earlier hand or does this sort of move have no FE?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:29 PM

I'm more of a fan of not forcing races for my chips and simply outplaying my table post-flop.

If you're going to play garbage hands at all, raise with them. At least put everyone on their heels. They all cold called behind you, the first probably with a real hand, and the rest calling with PP and LSC - *most likely*.

I think the fact alone that someone called your bluff is proof enough that this was not the time nor place for it. If everyone would have folded, it's easy to say it worked. When you get called, are behind, and end up winning, you prove your reads were wrong, theirs were right, and you got lucky.