Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: how to free up memory?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
turn off norton. If you have a firewall you dont need to do continuous scans of your system. Just make sure you know what you are downloading and scan any suspicious attachments. Running a virus utility all the time is huge waste of resources for virtually no gain.

The best thing to do is just scan your system once a week or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

there seems to be literally no way to turn off or close norton. the icon in the lower right does not give any type of option to quit if i right click it, and if i hit ctrl+alt+del norton is not listed with the other programs running...

[/ QUOTE ]

I turned it off, it was freezing up my comp too. These are the steps I took in order to do so, hope it helps..

Start / All Programs / Symantec Client Security / Symantec Antivirus

Click on FILE / go to Configure / click on File System Auto Protect / remove check mark from Enable Auto-Protect / click OK

That's about it...Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

what version of norton do you have? i have 360 and i have start -> all programs -> norton 360 -> "live update", "norton360", or "support"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Older version, I basically thought they would be more or less the same. Guess not.

Okay, I am trying to download the same version as you have (Norton 360 trial offer...FTW), let's look at this together.

(Might end up keeping this one, if it's better)

In order to download this new version, I have to uninstall the older one. I honestly hate deleting programs or software I recently owned, so I am saving it onto a CD. Maybe a way out for you too, if we don't get a fix on disabling the auto-protection on this version.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can just go ahead and uninstall all of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Norton is pretty much worthless unless you derive some worth from having a bogged down computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick fix by uninstalling it? Not a good idea.

Norton is a good product and it will be useful to you one day. Just try to fix it so it doesn't start up automatically and you should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about a quick fix? Norton is not a good product. It is notorious for incompatibility issues and high resource usage. Everyone who has a home/free trial version of Norton would do themselves a favor by uninstalling it completely. The combination of AVG and ClamWin will be more reliable and faster that Norton, without the compatibility issues.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:55 PM

It's not '98 anymore when Norton Tools was a valuable product. There is no reason to keep any of the Norton Internet crapware on a new computer.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 AM

Alright, problem solved.

As I mentioned in the above post, I wanted to see for myself how to close down Norton, so I deleted (saved it on disk) my old version and downloaded a trial version of Norton360 (same one as yours).

Here are the steps taken in order to disable it.

1. Right click on your icon
2. Open Tasks & Settings Window
3. Change Advanced Settings

4. Under Advanced Settings / Virus & Spyware Protection Setting / both tabs: remove all check marks

click on *back* (I left the firewall settings *on*)

5. Tasked Scheduling Settings / PC Security & PC Tuneup Schedule : under Schedule, scroll down to "Manual Scans" (probably doesn't need changing, but doesn't hurt to set it to this)

6. Undo & Exclude / Automatic Tasks : remove all check marks

Reboot & when your comp restarts, the Norton360 icon should be yellow with a 'red x' on it. (meaning it is shut down)

If & when, you want it to run again:

you can do it in 1 easy step by; right clicking on icon / click on *Fix Issues* and it will bring it back to the default settings. Or you can right click on *OPEN NORTON 360 MAIN WINDOW* and manually click on what you care to run or scan.

That's about it. Hope this helps & Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, problem solved.

Just delete Norton.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, problem solved.

Just delete Norton.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, let's hear what your choice would be, since you hate Norton so much.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:51 PM

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...ry_cleaner.htm

I'm a computer degen but this thing sped mine up after I complained about similar once - dont' know whether it will help. Free too.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...ry_cleaner.htm

I'm a computer degen but this thing sped mine up after I complained about similar once - dont' know whether it will help. Free too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...I've heard it's bad news to mess around with the registry, especially if you don't know much about it.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, problem solved.

Just delete Norton.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, let's hear what your choice would be, since you hate Norton so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a combination of AVG free and ClamWin for anti-virus. In reality, you could use NOD32, AVG, ClamWin, and Avast all together and you still wouldn't consume as many resources as Norton. Norton had it's day. That day has passed. Norton is bloated (CPU and memory usage), has incompatibility issues (do a quick search to see all the stuff that Norton messes up), and they require you to pay for updates. It is not worth keeping even if it were free. Get rid of it.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:53 PM

I already have AVG and I'm happy with it. Can't use it when using Norton, other than that, it's fine alone.

Are the other 3 you mentioned free?