Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: $16 Stars: QQ line check

If people play a bad hand when you have a good hand and make a raise that is GREAT. If you can't handle the few beats that come along with all the mountains of chips they are throwing at you then you're going to have trouble.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what I'm saying also is that was one option with action coming at me.

The other is that he leads out, and I call to string him along. He leads out again, I call, etc down. There's really no way to slow down this scenario where the light bulb goes off I'm beat unless I raise, and even then he might fight back with AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
You raise to t150 at t50 cause you want action. L1 (T20) and even L2 (T30), I'm often raising to 100 to cut down implied odds cause you still get called at the 16s, definitely at the 6.5s. You raise QQ to t150 at L3 (T50) becuase you're already raising enough to kill implied odds for small pps to call, and you want some donk (sorry) to call you in the BB with KTs. Then when you've raised AK in ep, you stack him when he hits his q. No one calls your T250 raise at T50 blinds without a monster unless they're a super donk-- they're shoving (with a better hand often or AK) or folding. Listen to the obviously more experienced players here on 2p2 and try it for a month or two. If you keep getting stacked with QQ, you need to work on your postflop more than your preflop.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Enough, I give up!

[/ QUOTE ]

What most poker players fail to realize is how specialized STTs are. This makes for a tough forum, because what makes sense and is intuitive in ring or MTTs, can be incorrect in a standard format STT. It is not an easy adjustment!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:24 PM

we are not stacking off if an overcard flops while the medium strength hands may very well stack off hitting toppair with a 10, j, 9 or sth.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see where you are coming from, and there are circumstances where you need to adjust to the table. If the table is really loose, and everybody calls 3BB, then you may need to increase the raise amount to achieve the same effect. This should be an adjustment, though, and not a general rule. I play low stakes as well, and the 3BB raise generally achieves the intended result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thanks, that's probably what I'll end up doing. Watch how the table responds to early 3x and adjust.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we are not stacking off if an overcard flops while the medium strength hands may very well stack off hitting toppair with a 10, j, 9 or sth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, that is given I think. But in my scenario, you're basically forced to payoff anyone that hit two pair or a set involving undercards. And that's reasonable, I can live with that.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, that is given I think. But in my scenario, you're basically forced to payoff anyone that hit two pair or a set involving undercards. And that's reasonable, I can live with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

the odds of them flopping that big is REALLY low.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 PM

The great thing about STTs is big pairs are very easy to play, in almost every situation you can get all in by making a standard raise and betting big every street and be profitable. You don't need to fold them that often, and usually when you do its pretty obvious.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 PM

I can't bear to read this too much longer,

Your stack size in relation to the blinds is the most important factor in a SNG donkament. PLaying this way will get you below 1,000 in chips when you get to the 100/200 level probably around 65% of the time if your have not already been busted.

The reason is not because of the individual play being bad (even though it still is) it is the position that this will put you in for the predominant amount of times that you will lose 10% of your stack.

I think there is an excellent article out there by either ZeeJustin or BelowAbove that describes this in the M theory that you would know of.

One of the greatest aspects of a SNG is maintaing fold equity (FE).

Now look this isn;t going to be a how to guide, but really you've made 27 posts 20% probably in this thread and you are trying to tell winning SNG players why they are wrong. There are different strategies out there but this has proved the most consistent way with the least variance to beat especially low limit SNG's. Please don't try to push your argument too far especially when you are learning. The purpose of this forum is to debate but part of that process is being able to understand when your wrong. This case you are wrong don't take it seriously they are not attacking you but your argument.

I wish you the best of luck at the tables and welcome to the community.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:40 PM

I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong, we were discussing our viewpoints, and I said I would try the consensus opinion.

Yes, I have made a lot of my posts in this thread, but this is my first day on twoplustwo so when you get involved in a thread, that will happen.

I am a low stakes player, but so far am doing pretty well through 50 SNGs which is nothing compared to everyone, but I'm not a complete idiot. Just learning and I don't think you learn by taking everyone's opinion at face value, you have to discuss and explore and find out what's behind things.

Thanks for the luck and welcome : )