Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: $20/180 button steal

[ QUOTE ]
We should also be worried about more than just overcards, like flushes, straights and flopped sets. By pushing we have a chance at picking up a nice pot, plus if we are called we are guranteed to see all five cards which means that even if we are out flopped we don't have to put anything extra into the pot to out draw him. By pushing we also negate our positional disadvantage. With stack sizes and villians wide range, I think that calling is too big a gamble at this point in the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that all of these points are true. However, my main worry about pushing is that it essentially makes the villain play correctly against us (i.e fold all worse hands and call with better hands). I suppose it depends on the villain. If he is weak after the flop, we might get more value from a call. I think that position is not such a disadvantage here. What I am suggesting is a kind of stop and go (not exactly, but similar). So in fact we need to act first after the flop to make this work.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 PM

I know what your saying, IMHO, however, I don't think that in the long run the risk will be worth the reward. If our hand was something like JJ-AA, or maybe even AK I could see doing what you are thinking. However, I think 99 is too weak.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We should also be worried about more than just overcards, like flushes, straights and flopped sets. By pushing we have a chance at picking up a nice pot, plus if we are called we are guranteed to see all five cards which means that even if we are out flopped we don't have to put anything extra into the pot to out draw him. By pushing we also negate our positional disadvantage. With stack sizes and villians wide range, I think that calling is too big a gamble at this point in the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that all of these points are true. However, my main worry about pushing is that it essentially makes the villain play correctly against us (i.e fold all worse hands and call with better hands). I suppose it depends on the villain. If he is weak after the flop, we might get more value from a call. I think that position is not such a disadvantage here. What I am suggesting is a kind of stop and go (not exactly, but similar). So in fact we need to act first after the flop to make this work.

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all hero is in the bb so there is no positional advantage when he calls. second, there is a lot of dead money in the pot (blinds/antes+raise) so we don't erally mind getting called by AK and AQ since we're the favorite. 2nd of all, picking up the pot preflop when he folds a worse hand is great for us because then those hands can never outdraw us or outplay us on a bad board. Pushing preflop is so ++EV here, especially if he's trying to steal b/c of the FE we have. Just b/c sometimes he will actually have a decent hand doesn't mean we shouldn't be making the best play. In a 180 you won't make a lot of final tables with a good shot to win if you're not trying to accumlate chips in spots like this. Its an easy push. Not pushing is teh majors suxors.