Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Did I extract max value

i think completing is fine, given that lots of other people limped in before. I think raising with 22 oop when you know you will get called by 2-3 players, and get floated on the flop 80% of the time is not a great plan. Obv. hitting a set is great, but i like to limp this.

I think you can bet closer to pot on most streets, but it's not necessarily wrong to try to draw him in with smaller bets. Depends on the player.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 PM

I been trying to take my one friends advice as he has worked his way up past 2/4 and has had some success in 3/6NL and says that I should be raising preflop 4x+1Limper with all pocket pairs... 2/3 of the time they are not going to hit the flop statistically speaking, but with 3 players they are likely to get some piece of it, but if u flop ur set, ur goin to get much more value out of it. And you might even take down the pot preflop also... that happens alot to me lately as well when I have monsters.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think completing is fine, given that lots of other people limped in before. I think raising with 22 oop when you know you will get called by 2-3 players, and get floated on the flop 80% of the time is not a great plan.

[/ QUOTE ]I never raise here but I just wanted to say that...you don't have to raise huge, just build a pot and raise 4xbb and you don't have to c-bet every time you raise preflop. If I raised in this spot I would never c-bet against 3-4 players.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:29 PM

I didn't mean for this to turn into a discussion on the merits of raising the small PP OOP, but while we're on the topic: raising is such a win-win situation. If we get all callers, the pot is super bloated and our decision is easy...either we flop a set and jam the pot, or we miss, and check/fold because of all the people in the pot. In a lot of situations, though, you'll get it to heads up or 3-handed and your c-bet on the right kind of flops will take down the pot.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:37 PM

I think blanket advice like 'raise all PPs from all positions' is just really bad and prevents you from thinking why you are taking a certain action.

The decision whether to complete or raise 22 here should be based on a number of factors:

- your image
- the likelihood of everyone folding to your raise
- how many callers you think you will get (the first limper is especially important here, if they call, the others are more likely to). I'm not c-betting 22 when I miss into more than one opponent
- how dow the limpers play postflop? Do they float a alot? Do they fold immediately when they don't hit?
etc etc.

Sure, raisng makes it easier to get your stack in when you hit a set, but does that mean that it is an auto raise here?
I don't think so. Plus, the more people in the pot, the more likely it is someone hits a piece with you when you flop your set. On the flipside, you're more likely to be outdrawn in a multiway pot.

A few months ago I would have raised this for sure (influenced by Tiens now famous post), but I find that people are respecting c-bets less and less these days, and 22 is pretty worthless when you don't hit.

Just because you got called all the way down does not mean you should think 'I should have raised pre, I would have stacked him'. That's results oriented thinking.

Take into account all the important factors before you decide whether to raise here, don't do it just because 'someone on 2+2 said I should'. That isn't going to help your growth as a poker player.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:54 PM

Why hasnīt anybody said anything about betting out on the flop? I canīt say that I like this play at all! why donīt we check? there are 4 players left to act behind us... betting out is plain bad imo.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why hasnīt anybody said anything about betting out on the flop? I canīt say that I like this play at all! why donīt we check? there are 4 players left to act behind us... betting out is plain bad imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?