Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Help with my little brother

meh, i was under the impression your brother was a reasonable person.

I also tend to find that people act FAR more reasonably and respectfully if you treat them with reasonableness and respect. This does not in anyway mean you have to take people's [censored], simply that the best policy is rarely to start with ultimatiums.

As i said, i'd try for a reasonable compramise, and if nothing reasonable could be worked out, it is at that point i put my foot down.

From everything you've said, clearly that point has been reached in this case, though i probably would have went about it differently at some earlier point.

Not that it sounds like it would work, as this kid sounds like he needs some tough love.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How could your brother not know the real story? Why didn't someone in the family tell him? How did he hear the right version and not the wrong one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we told my brother our dad collapsed and we didn't know why... When we found out he had sleep apnea, we told him that. Apparently he heard the Dr. say something to my dad about booze and pills and suicide, and he thought my mom and I were lying to him about what happened, when actually we never brought it up because it wasn't true. No one knew that he heard anything about suicide, booze or drugs.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's my play here?

Call child services, your Mother obviously can't handle this child.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, the kid wants to throw a party and you want his mom to deal with a CPS case, have to fight to keep the system off her and hopefully not lose her son to a placement or a PINS order. Obviously you've never dealt with this situation or you wouldn't do something like this so lightly.

OP - tell your brother if he comes to the house you'll call the cops. Explain exactly what the consequences will be, like breaking his athletic code, losing your dad's trust, etc. Then, if he throws the party, follow through.

The other option is to kick his ass. Sounds like he could use it.

NT
Old 03-01-2006, 01:58 AM

You are doing the right thing. Its about being responsible. If your brother gets mad, so be it. This is how so many parents f*ck up. They try to be friends and not upset their kids instead of doing the right thing. Stick to your guns. Dominic, Blarg and Shant give good advice. Ignore the kids saying let him do it.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How could your brother not know the real story? Why didn't someone in the family tell him? How did he hear the right version and not the wrong one.

Btw your brother sounds amazingly selfish. Responding to your dad's trying to commit suicide by hating on him is pretty low and selfish to the point of being perverted.

He also sounds transparently manipulative of you when he said he has not one good memory. Seems he's developing a practiced hand at trying to bully you guys by playing sympathy games. This boy needs to seriously man up before he becomes a lifelong whiny little b*tch. You might do him a big favor here by letting him know that's not the road to go down and you couldn't be less interested in putting up with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a Blarg is Right gimmick account yet?

The brother here definitely has the classic spoiled younger sibling mentality. Add in the divorce and this kid has a lot of risk factors to turn into a gigantic douche or a career criminal.

NT
Old 03-01-2006, 02:30 AM

Please note, I didn't read original post, nor any other posts.

The answer is to clearly kill your little brother.

EDIT: I just read OP and stick to my statement.