Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 12:30 AM

Default Help with my little brother

Ok, a little background first.
My parents split up a year ago. I'm 20, my bro is 17. I live with our dad, he lives with our mom. We see each other fairly often, but have a pretty rocky relationship. My brother and my dad don't get along well.... As hard as my dad tries, my brother won't forgive him for moving out.

My dad is going out of town on business for 2 weeks and my brother thinks he's having a party while our dad's gone. My dad and I live in a 2 bedroom appt with not alot of space, and my bro plans on having 15-20 kids over to get hammered. I don't want this to happen for many reasons.
1. I live here. I don't wanna have to deal with a HS party. You know how these things are... once word gets out everyone wants to come.
2. He's plays HS football at a school with a very strict athletic code. No drinking, period. I wouldn't have a problem with this BUT this is where I went to school and I'm a coach there now for the freshman team.
3. I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of drunken 16-17 year olds who can't handle thier booze.

I've tried explaining to him that he doesn't live here and he can't just come over and throw a party here. His answer was "Dad gave me a key and said I'm welcome anytime I want."
What's my play here? Basically this kid is accustomed to getting everything he wants, and I have a feeling if I don't let him have people over, our relationship will probably go to hell. He tends to get pissed at me over really small things and stay mad for days. Something like this would probably put me on his shitlist for quite a while.

EDIT TO ADD... He plans on doing it this Friday, and I work untill midnight
Old 02-28-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Help with my little brother

What's my play here?

Call child services, your Mother obviously can't handle this child.

Jimbo
Old 02-28-2006, 12:33 AM

There you go
Old 02-28-2006, 12:34 AM

Sometimes you have to be a dick. Younger brothers sometimes don't understand you're doing it for their own good, as well as for your family's sake. Just stop the party however you need to. If you don't want to deal with standing outside the party and sending kids away, I'd involve the police to break it up.

Some people may hate on me for being a dick about it, but I think it's especially bad that you live there and so does your dad, your bro doesn't like your dad and may let a bunch of drunk 17 year olds [censored] with your [censored]. I think you are in the right here.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:34 AM

Change the locks
Old 02-28-2006, 12:41 AM

I would just stay out of it. It's between him and your dad. Put a lock on the door to your room and lock anything you don't want f'd up and yourself inside and MYOB.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. He's plays HS football at a school with a very strict athletic code. No drinking, period. I wouldn't have a problem with this BUT this is where I went to school and I'm a coach there now for the freshman team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that he plays football and the OP works at the school he has to intervene. I think your brother should be considerate enough to understand this and not put you into this situation. If he still refuses and says he will have the party then I would threaten him with calling the police. HS kids are scared to death of the police.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Change the locks

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...just say your set of keys were stolen and had to change the locks.

Otherwise, lay down some ground rules about who pays for broken stuff and cleaning etc. and go spend the night at your mom's house.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:51 AM

I'd explain the situation to my brother, then try to negotiate the number of attendee's down to 8 or so. This is much more resonable. I would then turn a complete blind eye to the drinking and let them have fun...
Old 02-28-2006, 12:52 AM

I propbably should also add that my mom has no idea he's doing this. Apparently she's pretty clueless to this sort of thing and my bro just tells her he's sleeping at our cousins house. (My bro and cousin are same age, go to school together and are good friends.)