Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: IRS checking poker pro\'s blogs?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have read about him, especially from a previous post of his earlier career that he posted on 2+2, was that he committed himself to poker, poker and poker. And he just really played hundreds of thousands of hands and just worked on his game everyday. I'm still in search of the post that he made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a little bit off-topic but I am REALLY curious of that post, especially since I just joined 2p2 a few months ago or so...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why give them your hard earned money.

[/ QUOTE ]

To continue to partake in what this country has to offer and to avoid going to jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

So to be clear, we are talking about mafia-esque 'protection' then?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 AM

He would make so muhc more if he moved to England...

Plus then I could stalk him.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if the IRS ever read blogs from someone like Brian Townsend who states that he made over $2 mil in the past 4 days. I would try to keep it on a down low.

Brian is an amazing poker player from what I'm reading. How does one get so good so fast??

[/ QUOTE ]

He just kept asking himself the same question over and over everytime he had a tough decision to make: What would Brian Townsend do?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he wins 3 million in year 2007 and owes 1.2 million in taxes

he loses 1.8 million in 2008 but borrows 1.2 million to get even but he loses that also. he owes zero taxes for 2008

over 2 years he breaks even but the gov't has collected 1.2 million off of him and now he is in debt 1.2 million.

ain't fair

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year Johnny made $50,000 working 60 hours a week at a manufacturing job. He paid $18,000 in taxes, and spent the rest on living expenses. This year Johnny is unemployed. He has paid zero taxes but He had to take out $18,000 in credit card debt just to feed himself.

Over two years he breaks even, but the government has collected $18,000 in taxes from him, so he is in debt $18,000. Why should a professional gambler get any sort of preferential treatment over anyone else who works for a living?

Life aint fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't johnny collect unemployment to feed himself?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, the Party Poker "discussions". What do you think they are about? They never violated this piece of crap new legislation. It is about tax fraud. They were legally obligated to send players a tax form when they cashed out a certain amount, and to send a copy to the government. None of the online gaming sites did this to my knowledge. This must be what they are negotiating about, which means they will pay a fine, may or may not admit guilt, but they will definitely give up the files. I suggest anyone that played there alot send them a email re their privacy policy and under what circumstances player information might be shared with the U.S. government. I don't think you will be happy with your answer. Protect yourselves. Do not assume the Poker police will never come knocking on your door, especially if you are evading your income taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly the mistake made by ALL poker sites.
I contend that Poker is NOT even covered by the UIGEA al ALL.

See:
http://aol.worldwinner.com/cgi/tournament/list_all.pl

Consider, WorldWinner.com, IS a U.S. company (Newton, Ma.), they offer Solitaire, Free Cell, Spades, Hearts and other CASH COMPITITION Games (Including CHILDREN'S VIDEO GAMES) and are funded by our old processor, PAYPAL!.

From the T&C there: 2.3 Legality and Taxes
You are subject to all laws of the state, province and/or country in which you reside and from which you access the Site and are solely responsible for obeying those laws. You agree the Site cannot be held liable if laws applicable to you restrict or prohibit your participation. The Site makes no representations or warranties, implicit or explicit, as to your legal right to participate in any tournament offered on the Site nor shall any person affiliated, or claiming affiliation, with the Site have authority to make any such representations or warranties.

The Site reserves the right to monitor the location from which you access the Site and to block access from any jurisdiction other than the U.S., or any jurisdiction in which participation is illegal or restricted. The Site may require any participant receiving any prize to provide the Site with proof that he or she is eligible to participate according to Sections 2.1 and 2.2 above.

It is the policy of the Site, in compliance with United States Internal Revenue Service regulations, to send a Form 1099 to any person who wins in excess of $600 (USD) on the Site in any given year. However, you remain solely responsible for paying all federal and other taxes in accordance with the laws that apply in your state, province, and/or country of residence.

http://aol.worldwinner.com/cgi/tournament/list_all.pl

To see for yourself the 'SKILL' games and if Poker is not covered then as a 'SKILL' game something is wrong.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why give them your hard earned money.

[/ QUOTE ]

To continue to partake in what this country has to offer and to avoid going to jail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the offerings of the United States of America has so much to give....i'd rather be Albenian....!

Thank god, if I ever [censored] up, I'm scandinavian...
Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

btw the gov't taxes ue, too.

cliffs notes: get good tax attorney/accountant
Old 06-11-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he wins 3 million in year 2007 and owes 1.2 million in taxes

he loses 1.8 million in 2008 but borrows 1.2 million to get even but he loses that also. he owes zero taxes for 2008

over 2 years he breaks even but the gov't has collected 1.2 million off of him and now he is in debt 1.2 million.

ain't fair

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year Johnny made $50,000 working 60 hours a week at a manufacturing job. He paid $18,000 in taxes, and spent the rest on living expenses. This year Johnny is unemployed. He has paid zero taxes but He had to take out $18,000 in credit card debt just to feed himself.

Over two years he breaks even, but the government has collected $18,000 in taxes from him, so he is in debt $18,000. Why should a professional gambler get any sort of preferential treatment over anyone else who works for a living?

Life aint fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that but if Johnny used his free time to knock up Janie, she can get Uncle Sweetheart to pick up the tab for having the baby PLUS the baby can get medical until she/he is 18.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like the offerings of the United States of America has so much to give....i'd rather be Albenian....!

Thank god, if I ever [censored] up, I'm scandinavian...

[/ QUOTE ]

The feeling is mutual -- we'd rather you be Albenian(sic).